Flywheel Help?

Zeusimo

I'm Trying To Remove My Flywheel On My Truck So I Can Get It Resurfaced Because It Killed My Clutch (Somewhat Similar To Excessive Camber On Tires)

I Don't Have Any Impact Wrenches Or Fancy Tools... Just A breaker Bar :(

I Have Tried Jamming It But The Motor Jumps Up And Down Then It Breaks Free Again

PITA

Any Ideas???

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two ways have worked for me: Thread a bolt into one of the clutch cover bolt holes. Wrap hay wire around it, then tie the wire to something, like a bolt & nut through one of the holes in the rear of the block. You might use a spare bolt, not one you will actually bolt the clutch cover on with, just in case the bolt gets tweaked a little. I've done this at Pull n Save when I didn't have many tools along. A short length of chain might be safer than hay wire; less chance of breaking.

My "at home" tool is two holes drilled in a long piece of strap iron (angle iron would work) to line up with two of the clutch cover bolt holes. Bolt this to the flywheel and jam the end of the flat iron against the frame (if engine is still in), or against the floor (if engine is out).

Those are pretty redneck ideas. I'll be interested in someone posting the right way to do it.

Len

Pull a spark plug, with the piston at BDC, stick about a foot or two of small diameter rope in the cylinder. Now turn the crank with the crank pulley bolt till it stops turning. It will lock the crank from turning without putting undo stress on your timing chain.

Works good for pulling the crank pulley too.

Two ways have worked for me: Thread a bolt into one of the clutch cover bolt holes. Wrap hay wire around it, then tie the wire to something, like a bolt & nut through one of the holes in the rear of the block. You might use a spare bolt, not one you will actually bolt the clutch cover on with, just in case the bolt gets tweaked a little. I've done this at Pull n Save when I didn't have many tools along. A short length of chain might be safer than hay wire; less chance of breaking.

My "at home" tool is two holes drilled in a long piece of strap iron (angle iron would work) to line up with two of the clutch cover bolt holes. Bolt this to the flywheel and jam the end of the flat iron against the frame (if engine is still in), or against the floor (if engine is out).

Those are pretty redneck ideas. I'll be interested in someone posting the right way to do it.

Len

....or a coat hanger.... :D

cl22.jpg

I've taken about a dozen wheels off and never had to block them. I just set the 1/2" ratchet on the bolt and let hang down of it's own weight. Now just position yourself and kick suddenly and hard! towards the pass side and they snap loose. The compression, friction and inertia are enough to hold the motor. This works with the crank pulley bolt too. Have removed several pulleys from motors laying on the ground with nothing to brace them.

Now I feel bad I posted my ideas. I should have waited for datzenmike! The next time I go to Pull n Save, I'm going to look for vehicles with the tranny out, and practice the datzenmike kick. Maybe it is sort of a Kung Fu skill that takes years of practice to perfect. Once again, I find I have much to learn.

Len