S. OR Ratsun meets

Skib

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, I've either been out of town (alot in the past couple months) or the truck has been down so I haven't made any meets. Now that I've replaced the driver front wheel cylinder, swapped the shoes and springs around to be correct (someone put them on wrong) and replaced the master cylinder tonight, I'm ready to roll it around GP Friday and Saturday for "Back to the 50's". I didn't get registered for the cruise and it's sold out but I'll be driving it around. It's my green 70 521. (Not the 59 222, 61 223, red 70 521, 77 280Z, 81 510 or any of the three roadsters. Ya, it's become a sickness!!! "Datsun fever". I even decided last week to not get the Tundra I was thinking about. I'm going with the Nissan Titan. Yikes!)

BTW, some of you indicated your good w/ the L20B's. What about Z20? I've got one apart that needs one simple step before I can put it together. It's in an 81 510. When I got it for my Son a couple years ago it had sat for 13 years cause it wasn't running right. We checked and it had very little comp in #1. So, we pulled the head and a valve had a chip in it. Got it fixed and reassembled. Fast-forward.............my Son drives it for about 150 miles then there's an awful clanging noise. I pull the timing chain cover and valve cover (heads still in place) and find that the slide for the timing chain busted and was rattling around. So, I pulled one of another block and stuck it in. Now, that's where she sits. Ready to put the distributor/oil pump back in and put the timing cover and valve cover back on. Here's the problem. It never seemed to run quite right when we got it back together and I wasn't sure the timing was right w/ the crank/cam. It's got the 22 links between the bright links, yada, yada, yada. Some very helpful ratsuners told me awhile back to ignore the links and align the casting mark on the back of the camshaft w/ the casting mark on the head and it should be good. Hmm? I can't see the casting mark on the camshaft sprocket. Well, I have had so many other things going at work, extra-cirricular work and with the truck (demolishing an old house, preparing to build a garage, mowing 2 acres, etc.) that I haven't been able to devote the couple hours that it would take. I just want to make #@!$ sure that the timing chain is right before I button it up.

If that makes sense to you and you're familiar with the motor, I would appreciate some input. I'm South of GP near Murphy. I'd pay ya for your trouble and be forever grateful. If you know the motor it would be no more than an hour or so to help align everything or assure that it already is.

Hope I see some other classic Dat's around GP this weekend.

Wow nice find mind I ask what will you be doing with 3 roadsters? I wish I could help out on the engine but I need a lot more practice in engines I have a 81 ZXT that's a work in progress. I babysit my daughter so I have hardly anytime to do anything to my car even less do other activities. I could ask around and see If someone could help ya out, maybe John ray from lithia Nissan he lives in GP.

Wow nice find mind I ask what will you be doing with 3 roadsters? I wish I could help out on the engine but I need a lot more practice in engines I have a 81 ZXT that's a work in progress. I babysit my daughter so I have hardly anytime to do anything to my car even less do other activities. I could ask around and see If someone could help ya out, maybe John ray from lithia Nissan he lives in GP.

I didn't know John lived in GP. We met him the other day at the track in White City. My son ran his car around the autocross track all afternoon. I was daring enough to ride with him once. Like I said, I just haven't had the time to dig into it to make sure it's right. I've been doing overtime at work and I have alot of other work-related projects that consume my time. Then I'm trying to demo a house to build a garage so I can get the roadsters under cover before rain. If someone knew what they were doing, it would only take an hour or so to make sure it's aligned and get it buttoned up. If he, or someone else could help me out that would be awesome. I'd pay them for their time.

I didn't know John lived in GP. We met him the other day at the track in White City. My son ran his car around the autocross track all afternoon. I was daring enough to ride with him once. Like I said, I just haven't had the time to dig into it to make sure it's right. I've been doing overtime at work and I have alot of other work-related projects that consume my time. Then I'm trying to demo a house to build a garage so I can get the roadsters under cover before rain. If someone knew what they were doing, it would only take an hour or so to make sure it's aligned and get it buttoned up. If he, or someone else could help me out that would be awesome. I'd pay them for their time.

Oh, regarding your question about the 3 roadsters, that's my wife's doing. She got a bit jealous about the 2 521's, the PLG222 and the PLG223 that I've got. She decided to get roadsters (for her birthday). The 280Z is for sale as soon as I can get it running. I bought it from my brother in law, who bought it from my other brother in laws brother in law. O.K., I know that's a bit to follow. But, I've never run it. I got it started after a fuel pump and starter. It needs a couple injectors. And, the crud from the gas tank ruined the new fuel pump. (I need to add a filter in the line before the fuel pump). I'm not sure what I'm going to do w/ the 510 yet. My Son has first dibs if I go to sell it.

next week i might drive the new goon over there if ppl are going to be there. this week prolly not as i have to much going on. I still think we should switch it to friday. given i already drive to medford 5 times a week for work. not really wanting to make a 6th trip haha

next week i might drive the new goon over there if ppl are going to be there. this week prolly not as i have to much going on. I still think we should switch it to friday. given i already drive to medford 5 times a week for work. not really wanting to make a 6th trip haha

I don't see why not we can try it out, people haven't been going for some reason even though they said they'd show up when the weather got better and I have only been to one meet this summer. :(

met Oregon_PLG222 and his wife tonight at sonic. we all think we should try meeting in GP one of these weeks. maybe at sonic or something? Some of the Roseberg guys might be inclined to join as its a little closer? I know of a few just off the the top of my head here in GP that would attend. Myself, boaty, justin620, farmer and a few others we know that are not part of ratsun maybe. Its something to think about.