internal spray bar install?

Dirttrack510

I'm working on building a full race L series 4 cyl. and I've been warned that i will need an oil spray bar for my camshaft. I have a internal spray bar from a z car that i've.been told I can cut down and install it on my 4cyl. The question is... Doesn't this mount under my cam towers and won't it misalign them? Do i have to take my can towers and have them modified to do this? Any help would be great. I'm trying to avoid the external spray bar design that goes through and bolts to my valve cover.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IIRC, the modded Z car spray bar uses the oiler holes at the tops of the cam towers. I still have yet to see one in person, so I am going based on what I have heard.

I'm trying to avoid the external spray bar design that goes through and bolts to my valve cover.

Didn't someone have a setup, where they put a T setup at the oil pressure sensor switch. Then ran that into the valve cover, which had a spray bar installed on the side of it instead of doing work to the cam towers?

I don't wanna fail the"visual" engine inspection for "race"parts. My class is suppose to be"stock".

Are you allowed a catch can for the vent hose on the valve cover, and are you allowed a mechanical oil pressure gauge???? If so run a hard line to the back or wherever the catch can is located. Here's where you must be sneaky....T for the real gauge... run the other (flex) line into the catch can and up the vent hose and into the valve cover in stealth mode. Build any type of spray bar you like. Best is to spray directly onto the rocker arm / cam lobe contact area on the driver's side of the motor so the cam can't fling the oil off at high revs like it will if sprayed on from the other side..

This idea is from the "How to modify Datsun engines and chassis book"

In some class of racing, they had to run "stock" oil systems, but were allowed to run oil coolers. Somebody put some fins on the a cut down 6 cylinder spraybar, and called it an oil cooler.

On that line of thought... Will it hurt anything if i drill and tap a small oil line from the cam tower and run that to a spray bar?

Don't see why not. One thing I would definitely do if you haven't yet is install a high volume oil pump from a KA motor. That spray bar is like a big oil leak so you'll want more volume.