Diffrent's of a 69's, and 70's

truckman

I do not know the exact time line, but the doors on a 521 went from having no door lock pulls on the inside, to having bumps for the pulls, but no pulls to having the pulls.

I believe the cab also had some changes between the rear glass, and door to eventually accommodate shoulder seat belts.

I also think the 1972 521 trucks sent from a manual choke on the carb to an electric one.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My 70 has the no lock plungers, lock with the door handle.. 70 and earlier also have a brake sensor switch in the brake line distribution block on the firewall (looks like a oil pressure sensor switch). Air cleaner is a cake top and No emission crap on 70 and earlier, bed also doesnt have the extended bump on left rear wheel well. .. Finned valve/rocker cover. Fuse blocks are different also...

And maybe on the 72, the headlight switch clicks to the right when headlights or parking lights are on and locks it into position, so you can turn the lights off ... but, with mine when clicked over, i can still turn off the headlights but not the running lights...

keep in mind that back in the days these were built, the year of the truck was determined by when it sold. Anything built in late '69(with rect markers) would have most likely sold in '70.

Back in those days it was exactly like now. A vehicle manufactured Jan 2, 2012 may be sold as a 2013 model or a 2012 model. The model year is up to the manufacturer and is not decided by the state. That being said, sometimes a state made a mistake and put the wrong year on the title, but that didn't happen very often.

In USA, the larger reflective side Lamp/marker were required by regulation:

• FMVSS: 69-01 Standard No. 108 Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment

Red on rear of side, amber on front of side.

Effective 1-1-69. So early 1969 models (built before 1-1-1969) did not require the updated markers. Canadian-sold vehicles did not require them either until later when Canada adopted similar regulation.