Diffrent's of a 69's, and 70's

truckman

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have or have had four 521 trucks and a cab for a fifth.

The build dates range from 9/69 to 3/71, serial numbers are 207797 to 554834.

All of my 521 trucks started out with the L-16 engine.

PL 521 207797 has the round reflectors and the front fenders have a slightly rounder contour on the front.

Some of the later 521 trucks, with a L-16 engine also have an evaporative emission system. These trucks have an extra cover ahead of the left rear wheel well, in the bed, that covers a liquid vapor separator.

Long story short, I do have a 1969 521, with round reflectors, that has an L-16 engine in it.

keep in mind that back in the days these were built, the year of the truck was determined by when it sold. Anything built in late '69(with rect markers) would have most likely sold in '70. If a few got to the states quick and sold quick, they might seen a few titled in '69 and yet have rect markers. It was much more common to see '69's(round reflectors) sold in '70 and titled as such. A true '69 is an L521 and will have a J series engine. The PL521 (P denotes the L series engine.) had the L series engine. The "L" denotes left hand drive.

I can't remember what year the model year disappeared off the engine room dataplate, but starting at least in 1968 they all had an emissions sticker that said what model year it was intended to be. Unfortunately, being a sticker many have long since been overpainted or fallen off. The sticker wasn't always in the same place either.

L520s had J13 motors. The first year L521 starting in October '68 to June '69, also had the old J13 in them. Starting in July '69 the 'new' PL521 was equipped with L16 engines.

Rear round (non electrical) reflectors were used as rear markers on the L520 and L521 and through Sept. in the PL521 with the 'new' L16 motor. Starting in Oct. '69 the PL521 switched to red rectangular electrical rear side markers.

Front amber 'arrow' style electrical marker lights were used from May '68 through Sept '69. Starting in Oct. '69 rectangular electrical amber front marker lights were used.

So it is possible to have a PL521 L16 but with non electrical round red rear reflectors and the arrow style amber front markers if your truck was made between July to September of '69

'67 or '68 Dodges had small red and amber bull's eye marker lights that I liked. The Firebirds had a red bird shape, also nice.

a20792a12d51f881908986_m.JPG8515.jpg

There were many others and I liked the individuality of the designs and was sad to see them become rectangular blobs.

• 11 months later...