nasty vibration since lowered

sicAsic

need help guys...since lowered my 620 72 1/2 is making nasty vibrations and metal to metal sound only on 5th gear. the metal to metal sound has decreased by bending the outer lip of the cross member but the vibration is still there. it feels like the sound is magnified at high speed. the center shaft bearing was recently replaced with an aftermarket part but not quite happy with it so i went to pick and pull dismantle an original part and can't wait to install. hoping that the vibration will decreased once the original part is installed. went to several ratsun meets and finally met some of my fellow datsun owners. my truck is 90% complete and will take pictures shortly.

thanks again...giles spartos

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

unfortunately, the truck is having vibration problems. maybe the u-joints are faulty. i will definitely look into the numerous suggestions mentioned in this topic and will post the results shortly...thanks a millions datsun heads !!!!

just want to mention that this site is awesome...get better response than the other websites i'm in.

• 2 weeks later...

puit a spacer under the carrier bearing. This will take the load off the trans.

This happen to datto510 with his 521 in 5th gear

do you have an idea on what would be the spacer or shim height?

• 3 weeks later...

need help guys...since lowered my 620 72 1/2 is making nasty vibrations and metal to metal sound only on 5th gear. the metal to metal sound has decreased by bending the outer lip of the cross member but the vibration is still there. it feels like the sound is magnified at high speed. the center shaft bearing was recently replaced with an aftermarket part but not quite happy with it so i went to pick and pull dismantle an original part and can't wait to install. hoping that the vibration will decreased once the original part is installed. went to several ratsun meets and finally met some of my fellow datsun owners. my truck is 90% complete and will take pictures shortly.

thanks again...giles spartos

i was experiencing some what of a similar incident with my 720 after i lowered it. i dropped the front and rear 2 inches. i took it out for a spin and i would hear a metal on metal pinging sound every now n then. it eventually went away and it would only make the sound when i was moving really slow (between 5 and 10 mph)

I feel like a broken record, but I've gone to a one piece drive line. Its a world of difference. I went through the whole replacing carrier bearings and it got old after blowing a drive line on the way to pick & pull. On my single cab my friend and I made one by shortening one out of a newer nissan(it worked). I tried to extend one on my KC but blew it up (took out my fuel tank and caused all sorts of lil issues later) depending on where youre at you can probably get a good deal. I paid 400 for mine but its 3" tubing and all new.

i was experiencing some what of a similar incident with my 720 after i lowered it. i dropped the front and rear 2 inches. i took it out for a spin and i would hear a metal on metal pinging sound every now n then. it eventually went away and it would only make the sound when i was moving really slow (between 5 and 10 mph)

Sound like a tiny ball peen hammer hitting the drive shaft? That's a bad U joint. It will only get worse, maybe slowly maybe not, but eventually it will vibrate. The needle bearings will grind up and fall out, the trunnion will begin pounding the bearing cap and will wear it oval or break it out. Now the trunnion will begin to damage the drive shaft yoke. Best you find it now and replace it or it will screw up on the way home from work, in traffic, in the dark, with freezing rain....

• 4 months later...