"Ramblin Rose"

LAYEDOUTB2K

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i actually tore the generator apart and got it fixed myself. one of the brushes was kinda stuck and wasnt makin contact so i made a little spacer to go in under the spring. its workin now and puttin out plenty of volts but the voltage regulator is bad. i think it just needs the points adjusted because its putting 4 volts out so i disconnected it. luckily i got a gel cell battery so it holds charge good. im gonna take the volt regulator out and adjust it but i need to find my impact screwdriver to get one of the screws out.

i had talked to the guy at dans garage too because someone else sent me there but he just does old GM stuff

• 3 weeks later...

took it to a local car show this weekend. have done a little bit to it lately. i painted the bed and roof white, por-15 on the frame, cleaned it up a bunch. soon, im gonna be makin some whitewalls.

P1020021.jpg

P1020025.jpg

P1020024.jpg

P1020023.jpg

there was a really sweet Z there too.

P1020053.jpg

P1020056.jpg

P1020057.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

i got real tired of seein those faded white turn signals so i picked up some clear orange Tamiya paint from the hobby store and put a couple coats on them then clearcoated. what do ya guys think? i also got some 320 bumperettes and datsun mudflaps recently but havent mounted them yet.

P1020244.jpg

wow, that things cleaning up better than i imagined!!!

i was really surprised about that too. my dad just about freaked when he saw it last week. its looking better everyday too. i just started rebuffing it too but this time im wetsanding it with 1000 grit and the paints startin to look real good. i also painted the datsun letters on the tailgate in white yesterday and started cleaning up the engine compartment.

what would you guys think about putting the datsun stickers that came on 510 rocker panels across the rocker of just the cab and then painting the lower lip of the bed and where it flares up over the wheelwell in white?

I love the Datsun rocker sticker, but I don't know... the 320 is so classy. Putting something that 70's on the side of a 60's 320 seems out of place to me.

but It might look bad ass too. Just something to think about.

This looks great though!

• 6 months later...

type generator, you might try contacting some of the better vintage British resto parts vendors (Moss Motors, Victoria British, etc).

Most Brit stuff used positive ground electrics well into the 60's (and small bore pushrod Datsun engines are almost identical to BMC "A" motors externally) so there's a pretty good chance that there will be one or more positive ground generators available that would fit.

thanks for the info on the generator. i knew a lot of internal motor parts were real similar but hadnt thought about other vehicles having +ground too. ill definitely look into that. i was also going to take it off and take it into a real good starter/alternator rebuilding place in town and see what they can do with it along with all the papers on it i have in the service manuel

An alternator will only charge in one direction because of the way the diodes are placed, but a generator will work in either direction by polarizing it when it is installed, so there is no such thing as a positive ground generator.

The regulator is what determines the polarity because the reverse current or cutout relay, like a diode, is wired for one direction.

If the generator is not polarized correctly it will show no charge though it is working fine otherwise.

Edited by hogboy52

hogboy: thanks, i didnt know that before. i did know about it having to be polarized but im not too keen on electrical so i wasnt really sure why.

mike: thanks. for a long time i was kinda disappionted that it wasnt an NL. now i really like that its not one because to me it looks more like a classic "oldie" than the NL and thats why my NL is getting modified and this is staying bone stock so i can have each of both worlds.