Datsun 521 center support bearing w bushing

Hi, new to the forum...

...Bought my truck about 6 months ago, and have been getting lots of things fixed, but my mechanic is stumped on this part. I have never heard a more terrible noise as when it broke...i thought someone was using a jackhammer!

Anyways, I LOVE my truck and I miss it terribly-- does anyone have this part for sale? or other suggestions on what to do?

I've seen some of the DIY bushing constructions... seems ok... how have they panned out?

thanks a ton, everyone!

1970 521, the mint-grey color. please help me save her!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

r you talking about the carrier bearing?

I asked: "What is the part called? I'm going to ask the forum."

Mechanic says: "the center support bearing with the bushing....part of the drive shaft."

I can ask more questions of the mechanic if that would help... sorry, i know a lot about other stuff but this is my first foray into classic car repair.

nah ur ok, im 90% sure your talking about the carrier bearing and i just delt with mine :) they dont exist anymore that im aware of, the way i fixed it was to get a new 1 piece drive line that does not need a carrier bearing :) I have a 620 not a 521 so im not 100% if they have a 2 piece drive line but if you can get your mechanic to confirm it has a 2 piece then the answer in my option is to have a driveline shop make you a 1 piece and then ur good to go. mine was about 3 hundred bux and very easy to install .

and welcome to the forum - i just realized i have not hassled you for pics yet, sooooooooooooooo :rolleyes:

how bout some pics?

thanks for the info and the welcome...i'm gonna call mechanic and read to him now.

and i can't post any pics until i get the truck back! but i promise to...she's rough but i love this damn truck. much to the sadness of both my boyfriend and my bank account. he loves it too, but he worries too much to own a beater ;)

thanks for the info and the welcome...i'm gonna call mechanic and read to him now.

and i can't post any pics until i get the truck back! but i promise to...she's rough but i love this damn truck. much to the sadness of both my boyfriend and my bank account. he loves it too, but he worries too much to own a beater ;)

sooooo, i DO have a two-piece drive shaft. i've spent a long time looking at things here on the interwebs and now i want to know if anyone has pics of these things? i see lots of pics but i haven't found anything that clearly shows the part i am looking for.

thanks for your help!

I have never seen a verified bad carrier bearing although there are many who have changed them. The bearing has very little load on it so is not at all a high wear item. Likely the fix was due to the rubber isolator being changed at the same time. These kits have pretty much disappeared. The clunking or vibration isn't the bearing but the rotten or missing rubber doughnut around the bearing. Without the support the driveshaft can wobble around and vibrate. Noises, from squeaks, to pings to snapping sounds or vibration is likely a bad U joint.

This is the rubber isolator on the 620 driveshaft. The carrier bearing merely allows the driveshaft to spin inside it.

620driveshaft003Large.jpg

620driveshaft002Large.jpg

620dsisolator001Large.jpg

I have never seen a verified bad carrier bearing although there are many who have changed them. The bearing has very little load on it so is not at all a high wear item. Likely the fix was due to the rubber isolator being changed at the same time. These kits have pretty much disappeared. The clunking or vibration isn't the bearing but the rotten or missing rubber doughnut around the bearing. Without the support the driveshaft can wobble around and vibrate. Noises, from squeaks, to pings to snapping sounds or vibration is likely a bad U joint.

This is the rubber isolator on the 620 driveshaft. The carrier bearing merely allows the driveshaft to spin inside it.

Thanks! so, more or less...a "rubber doughnut"-- not flat but round. Is "bushing" the proper term for this thing?

I see that some people made their own, and i read that some even cast a matching one out of rubber! seems like that is where this is headed....

in the meantime, if anyone knows of the 521 equivalent rubber-doughnut, I'd love to see it. Or find out where you got your part.

Nissan lists them as an isolator. Rubber doughnut works too. I had one fall apart years ago. I cut a one inch strip of rubber conveyor belt, although something softer or more compliant might have been better, and wound it around the driveshaft 4-5 times. Then assembled the metal hoop that holds it in place and tightened the bolts down. I had to trim it to fit snugly and had every intention of replacing it when I found another. It worked so well I never did or needed to..

sooooo...here's my update:

goddamn nissan parts jerks...i ordered that bushing from 3 different places online without the site telling me they no longer had the part until the next day! so 3 times i thought i was getting it, only to find out the next day that my order had been cancelled.

i did get the bearing though...mine is all effed up--- it's all warped on the flat part of the center piece. it should arrive next week.

the bushing/isolator though.... well, i'm gonna make my own. i'm going to try to cast it out of rubber myself. i have a tiny bit of experience with molds and casting from art school. i'll let you all know how it works. perhaps if i am successful, I will start manufacturing them my damn self!

wish me luck.

620driveshaft003Large.jpg

620driveshaft002Large.jpg

620dsisolator001Large.jpg

oh shit! thats what the rubber should look like! The driveshaft i am using on my 5 speed swap is a 620 driveline, and it doesnt have all the rubber it should apparently :(

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update-- we've been making our own part. it's pretty time-consuming and not exactly cheap, but what the hell? it's the only thing I can personally do to fix the car! we had our first one installed by the mechanic, and it ran great on the surface streets but the jackhammer sound and vibration began again on the freeway. We have since altered our design and have a new one to bring to the mechanic today. I have a pic of the original and the one we made side-by-side. Check it out! In my gallery album... (click on that little photo underneath my snarling chihuahua)

And dat521gatherer-- I didn't want to find a used one-- my thought was that 40-year old rubber is 40-year old rubber, no matter whose truck it's in.

jon521-- now you can see what the bushing from a 521 looks like-- it's flatter than the 620 datzenmike posted.

last but not least: in case my amazing journey of car part manufacturing doesn't work out-- i'm in Oakland. Does anyone know of a mechanic or drive line shop that would be able to create a one piece drive axle? my mechanic is good, but I'd feel better if someone had more Datsun experience.

thanks!

I just ordered a 620 carrier bearing assy ... 3 parts, comes with the bearing including the big rubber donut, a brass inner sleeve and a new punchable nut. the parts supplier lised a 12mm and a 22mm size... i'm assuming thats the ID of the bearing... methinks the 12mm version might be a 521 size(early 620?) i should have it by thursday, will let you all know what i get.

d'oh... i erased the whole damn thing on accident!

okay, so the 521 got its new homemade center support busing and new bearing...plus, new u-joints and "propeller shaft" repair (these are things i was charged for in repairs from mechanic)...

...well, there is no jackhammer sound now. Now, after going about 45mph, it sounds like a thousand bees buzzing. it's a loud noise, UNLIKE the loud noise of the engine it's made the whole time i've had it.

i don't know if there is something wrong with my homemade part, or if there is something else it could be. i crawled under it today and took a bunch of photos. maybe if anyone sees anything worth pointing out to me, the noob, i'd love to hear what you see.

i was SO happy when i got back into the truck to drive it, and the though of selling it because i can't afford to fix it actually kind of makes me want to cry (i'm sure you understand though... no one else would. especially the boyfriend's mom who is trying to give us good adult-style advice about 'driving a dependable car...' BAH! i say. i love this little green truck.)

any ideas or suggestions for places in the bay area to take it are appreciated. I read DatzenMike's post about how (paraphrase) "owning a Ratsun is like a marriage..." but i am still holding out hope i can pay someone who already knows how to fix it to work on it.

also, Moderators: i think this post might not be a "parts wanted" anymore... i think i crossed into "Project Datto" when i made my own goddamn isolator in my kitchen. How do i migrate?

enjoy my fine pics! and i'll post some of the truck itself in the 521 talk page.

thanks!

all you had to is ask man i got a hole drive line sitin in my garage i would have sent it to you for like 40 bucks...

ooooh... it's not too late... like i said, the sound of a million bees buzzing remains. might just take you up on the drive line offer... thanks!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.