Winter Is Coming

Vitamin Pepsi

For those unfortunate enough to live in the north and midwest, it's getting quite cold recently. Soon, everything will be white, and there will be salt everywhere. Datsun's are not wintercars, therefore we shall be retiring ours for the next 6 to 10 months for winter. Does anyone have any tips on preparing one's Datsun for winter storage? I plan on just putting mine under a tarp with some fuel stabilizer. Don't know what else to do. Maybe an oil change? Tips! Go!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What? The rust belt is on the east coast. They dont use salt in my area (and i've lived in a few of them) They plow the road then throw some gravel on it & call it good.

Oregon may not use salt but they use that fuckin magniseum chloride shit that will eat wiring and chrome and fuck shit up!! That shit is nasty!! I deal with it every winter on Sanitam and Meacham passes among others

get a nice fresh layer of good quality undercoating and forget that its winter. thats my suggestion. and make sure you have your heat riser tube hooked up and anything else that can keep your intake warm. iced carbs arent fun. and do like jayden said and keep the proper mix of antifreeze in it.

My 710s are off the road for the last week. It's still early but WTF. If you haven't replaced the anti freeze in the last two years do it now before the weather is really bad. It goes without saying that all hoses should be checked/replaced now before the anti freeze goes in.

If you have gas with up to 10% alcohol blend you shouldn't need fuel stabilizer in it.

Fill the gas tank if you can to reduce the amount of air space in it.

Oil, change it in the spring and flush out any moisture with it.

If not planning to start it, take the battery in doors and charge it up every few weeks. Do not store it discharged. Also a discharged battery will freeze easier than a charged one.

Try to put it up on blocks and get the weight off the tires. Take the tires indoors if you can. Avoid parking it on grass... it's damp and air does not circulate under it as well.

Try to provide some shelter to keep the worst weather off of it.

i want mine done underneath with it. i'm pretty sure i wouldnt have to worry about my floor rusting out again from water and rocks hitting it and making scratches. it might lower your car too since that stuff is pretty heavy. and it has sound deadening properties.

If not planning to start it, take the battery in doors and charge it up every few weeks. Do not store it discharged. Also a discharged battery will freeze easier than a charged one.

definitely true there. when a battery dies, the acid is absorbed by the lead and leaves mostly water in the cells by itself. and this can cause sulfating which can cause the battery to not work ever again if it does it for too long. also there is truth to the myth that batteries get discharged when put on concrete. make sure you put the battery on something besides concrete (2x4's, a shelf, etc) if you decide to store it outside of the car.

Anti freeze check and top off . Check all hoses . Touch up undercoating. Change oil and filter. Tire check. Seal up any external leaks into cabin. Check brakes and bleed brakes thoroughly for five bucks. Check clutch hydraulics and bleed thoroughly. Make sure heater works

... Start car every week or two. Store with e-brake off.