Bought a 5 speed today.....but

Sealik

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Road trip......here's the sellers dwarf car....

P7060012.jpg

Cracked the air dam while loading the 510....had to remove it

P7060013.jpg

Trip home.

P7060014.jpg

P7060015.jpg

Came with a roll bar....and the front fenders are fiberglass

P7060016.jpg

Threw a batt in it....fired right up....but...it chugged....after a few minutes could smell the bad gas

Obviously sitting longer than owner stated

Cap and single points were worn...ballast resistor was getting hot.

No clue how to change rear air filter without....

P7060017.jpg

Crank case breather wide open

P7060018.jpg

P7060022.jpg

Bolt and bushing just left of center of pic looks rather suspicious....

P7060020.jpg

About a 3/8 inch from fan to rad

P7060021.jpg

Checked the engine ID behind dipstick...L28

Suspension is very stiff....

Will do a leak down test on engine before I do anything.

L28 approx 29 inches long....should fit in a 720

P7060023.jpg

Got a bucket of fresh gas and a new filter, bypassing the tank.

Also bought a new set of points...but... didn't install them because the dizzy is pretty much toast.

Wouldn't fire after I reset the NFG points.

Upgrade to EI I guess...which the L28 had in the first place????

Noticed when I turned it over I could hear air escaping below the IM between 5 and 6.

Pulled the IM and carbs.....yup....seems like the HG is NFG.

Compression was 180s until no 5....about 50 lbs...no room to get at No 6 to test.....firewall in the way.

Leak down test was 4-6 per cent loss on cylinders 1-4...pretty good.

5 was a given....and 6 was low.

Thinking the HG is compromising the readings in No 6 also.

Will replace HG and lap the valves.

The block is a L28-N42

Head is a E31...which is from a 240Z I believe...spray bar included :D

P7070026.jpg

Intake is E46...240Z?

Also noticed the SUs were missing some mounting nuts... :blink:

P7070028.jpg

Also came with a solid brass license plate frame.... woot :D

P7070029.jpg

Checked out Dougs new ride yesterday.. hellova good deal. Specialty engineering flare and airdam kit, feels like Specialty springs all round and a properly slotted crossmember in the back. Has a later 72 dash and harness, nice metal vents with no pitting but its hard to tell if the chrome is good because they're painted. stock brakes didn't crawl under to look at swaybars etc, but i'd say this was a total 80s 84-88 build looking at the Euro mirrors and the italian steering wheel. fun car for the bucks.

Thanks Merlin....feel free to update my thread....anytime..... :D

Seems I am somewhat lacking any 'particulars' at this time.....noobish so to speak

Anywho.... Was looking for a head set kit to 'fit' a 280 block/240 head. Determined that the Felpro HGs are the same between the 240-280.

One size fits all....good if you have the larger 280 (86mm) bore...but 'not', if you have the smaller 240 (86mm) bore.

The head set kits have a different PN between the 240-280

So....Ill assume the 240 kit will work for my situation.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Rockauto...50 bucks...shipping sucks at 42.61 though :blink:

Still cheaper than buying locally...but....that's another thread/discussion in itself...

Pretty sure these are the earlier..more desirable SUs

http://datsunzgarage.com/engine/

P7070028.jpg

P7090001.jpg

Need to clean them up and or....

Just ordered this book to help out... :D

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360392264146&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:CA:1123

As suggested here..

http://www.jetlink.net/~okayfine/SU/rebuild.html

Well... this is rather interesting.....

P7100002.jpg

Flat top pistons....freshly honed/bored with P79 50 pistons....assuming 50 over.

Marks on the flat tops from the valves hitting....not sure if it's new or old.

Pistons seem to be slightly above deck

HG blown out on 4 and 5

P7100003.jpg

Can't see any marks on the valves

P7100004.jpg

Hmmmm

Looks like the piston is up about .5 mm

P7100005.jpg

Head has been shaved....seems to be wedged, thicker at the back... :blink:

From front of engine..4.228, then 4.231 at center and 4.240 near back of head.

Stock head is....4.248

P7100007.jpg

That's hokey. If so, maybe the block was decked too? Do the pistons look like valve strikes or are they reliefs cut in them???

Yeah they've been hit by the valves...not from a machinist :D

P7100008.jpg

The head looks like its been recently overhauled.

No carbon, seats look clean. Pulled some springs out and it seems the tops of some stock retainers have been trimmed...to clear the stock lash pad.

Concluded that the top of the valve stem has been shortened... pad was sitting below retainer....thus the top was slightly trimmed.

Looks like there is 2 (wipe) patterns on the rocker...I'll do another to confirm what is what.

I also have those Comp springs that I removed from the LZ (for a 6 cylinder)) that I'll install...knew they wouldn't go to waist :D

mag7.jpg

Numbers on head.... 5 F AV

P7100009.jpg

Now I 'just' have to figure out how to get enough clearance between valves and pistons.

2 mill HG?

How much clearance is needed?

Measured the cam...looks stock...around .413

Okay...much moar searching....many bookmarks in puter :blink:

Looks like it might be a stroker....possible LD28 crank???

Or L24-L28 combo bottom end

Somewhat familiar....other than the dished pistons

deckheight2.jpg

Determined that the E31 head raises compression more so than other L24/28 heads?

Unless I raise the head with the thickest possible HG available....compression will be through the roof... :o

http://www.oocities.org/inlinestroker/

Need to find the (CCs) volume of the E31 head to determine CR....and or....most likely a 'unshaven' head

0.413 is normal for the L20B. Maybe the old cam did this? Crushed gasket thickness is 1.2mm

Don't know.....I do know that with a stock E31 head and flat tops the compression is pretty high, and even higher when the pistons are above deck.

Which...I have no clue why... :D

Sweeeeet! That's a cool project to pick up. Makes me think about sticking an L28 in mine! Except I like my firewall and heater. :D

Should be a bullet....if I can config that head :blink:

Unless the chain has enough slack in it to stuff 2-3 HGs in there... :D ..I think the CR will be way too much

If 'we' knew the stock 280 piston deck clearance and stroke (79mm)...could then add that clearance with the above/positive deck height of .5mm approx (flat tops) then mulitply x 2+79..... for stroke.???

Hmmmmm...maybe.... :D

Oh....and yes, no heater......summer only :cool:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?29829-E31-w-L28-block

I think the stock flat top 280 pistons are 3mm below deck.....(?)

So.....my pistons are .5mm above deck... plus the 3mm below = 3.5 difference x 2 = 7 +79 = 86 inch stroke?

Head volume is 42.4 cc......actually less because the head has been shaved at least .010

EDIT

Flat top pistons are .012" (approx) above deck

Removed wedge from TC and rotated engine to determine stroke...79mm

Edited by Sealik

Got some CR numbers from Mike.....THANK YOU! :)

B&S cylinder volume is 460.8cc for a 2761 cc motor.

Gasket= 7cc

Dish= O

Head 41cc

Deck = subtract 1.8cc

41+7+-1.8=46.2cc total head volume.....+460.8 total cylinder volume=507.00

divide by head volume

46.2=

10.97 compression ratio

Sooooo...could be a change of plan if I can't get some 'aviation' fuel for it :lol:

Pulled the head apart, looks like 'new' intake seats and guides.

Bit of slop between the exhaust valves/guides....more so on No 6, which was giving me low numbers on a leak down test.

Also noticed 3 coolant holes were plugged

P7120015.jpg

P7120014.jpg

P7120013.jpg

Also looks like the towers were re-stamped... :blink: ..although only 3 and 5 could be swapped.

Most likely realized he screwed up after the top end was assembled...and then added some new numbers

P7120012.jpg

Be a lot cheaper to find a good used unshaven head.

But....there is only 1 guy I know of around here... about 30km away.

Actually.... have no clue where he lives... :D

The E31 is the earliest '70 240Z head and was used with a smaller displacement 83mm X 73.7mm B&S and with flattop pistons. They are uncommon and "high quench' making them very close to a closed chamber or peanut head. You can see the flat areas as a crescent area arching above the valves ans a smaller band below the plug. These heads has the smallest valves of all the L24/26/28 engines. Allegedly only 10,000 were made and most now have been totally used up for racing, so hang onto that one Doug.

Is it me or do those valves look like they almost touch? Maybe larger valves have been installed.

P7100004.jpg

The 280Z motors were 86mm X 79mm B&S. Depending on the head size dished and flattops were used. Some flattop blocks used a 53.5cc combustion chamber. So no shit you 41cc chambers are through the roof.

BTW all L series pistons have the same pin height so flattops won't stick up any higher than dished.

LD28 83mm stroke crank with 133mm L24 rods and 89mm Z24 or KA24E pistons. Piston sticks above the block 0.65mm. So Doug these are not 89mm KA flattops if the bore is 86.2mm. Looks like maybe oversize 86mm 280z flattops.

I worked out the stock L28 stroke/rod/piston height and its 207.8mm and the block height is 207.85mm. So the stock flattop piston (or dished for the matter) is actually 0.05mm below the top of the block. Why it is above can only be the block was decked or those pistons are maybe custom and have a longer pin height.

Yeah....most of those heads are MIA....racing, wrecked...etc.

One does pop up now and again, but it's usually stripped or possibly on the verge of...NFG

Valves I think are stock size....shall measure to confirm.

It is suggested to run the larger valves in the E31

Could get it rebuilt...but most likely end up around 4-5 hundred with the HG kit.

Then.. I have to consider the SU rebuild cost, 650+ from Z Therapy or (still waiting on a quote) Zeddsaver in B.C. Keep It local if possible....different methods but similar results, and I believe the local boys are cheaper than Z Therapy

Plan B is to put the LZ23 (out of the truck) in the 510, pull the L28 and reassemble over the winter, eventually ending up in the 720

Possibly...maybe... :D who knows

Premium gas is somewhat 'Eco' friendly here and only rated at 91, on a good day...But

Could be a snappy little DD for a couple of months in the summer...mmmm .... :cool: