I thought my engine blew today

Driving to lunch today the car had just warmed up and i head a WHAM then tap tap tap tap really slight because i killed the engine and coasted into a lot when i heard it. I thought the fan belt broke at first, but it was fine so i started it up and heard a metal on metal sound almost, and thought the engine was blown. Turns out the bolt i had plugged the egr port on the exhaust manifold had worked its way loose, and then shot out in the last thread or so.

what i found:

IMG_0555.jpg

how it is supposed to look:

IMG_0556.jpg

Walked back to where i heard it about a half block up the road and it was still there, had to play frogger to get it back:

IMG_0557.jpg

Looks in decent shape:

IMG_0559.jpg

Good as new

IMG_0560.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I pulled my emission tube off my exhaust manifold using a cut off wheel right at the manifold. Then i welded them shut. I don't have to deal with that shit anymore :D

This is the way i do every one of mine^^^^^

But since you already pulled them out ....go to hardware and get pipe plug ( with pipe thread ) the right size because that`s what the threads are and they will hold better..

This is the way i do every one of mine^^^^^

But since you already pulled them out ....go to hardware and get pipe plug ( with pipe thread ) the right size because that`s what the threads are and they will hold better..

Damn straight!

Metric pipe thread.

exhaustpipeplugs001Large-1.jpg

Vacuum advance never goes to intake vacuum. Take that short length of hose off the hard line above the rad hose clamp and connect the dizzy vac advance to it. Put the short hose on the other end of the hard line and plug into the rearmost of the two carb ports. The hard line behind the plug wire bundle is for the EGR so ignore it.

IMG_0555.jpg

Now that you have it connected to ported vacuum you may need to reset your timing at idle. The dizzy looks like it's turned around wierd.

:rofl: no

I dont abuse cars and beat on them, i do say F a lot if something goes wrong. I think that wire holder got bent when the engine caught air in my truck :blink: And good ? I shut it off, pulled the cap to get some room in there and thats where it was sitting.