Frame blast and prime.

1 member has voted

1. 1. To compress or to not to?

• Pay to have frame blasted and primed.
    • Set up my compressor in a rental and do it myself.
    • Other, add remarks below \/ \/ \/.

Looking for some input.

So I have scheduled to have my frame blasted and primed. It is time plus materials so it will cost around $300. I already own a substantial compressor and a #100 pressure pot but they aren't set up. We are renting and may buy this house. What would you my fellow ratsuners do? Pay to have the work done, or use the labor portion ($240) plus some to set up my compressor in a rental and possibly piss off my neighbors?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

300 is a good deal and it is done when you pick it up, It takes some time when your doing stuff, you have to think about what your time is worth. Remember you got to set it up - clean up after - so it will take yo more time then what a shop is going to take. Just weigh it out. The advantage of doing it yourself is you know it was done to your standards and not covered with primer. Me I would do it myself But 300 ain't bad really.

Id just have it blasted at the shop, bring it home and start the process. as dood above said, setup, clean up, takes time. having a shop do it makes it easier for you to just focus on getting it done when it gets back. (tho like flatcat said, having your own shit rocks!)

Convenience

I have a 60 gallon IR compressor and a 100# pressure pot already. I have yet to set them up. I still need to have a receptacle installed and a water air separato,r dedicated painting/blasting air hose bought, a lot of little things but those are what add up. I could set it all up in my dads shop but he's not to thrilled about storing all my projects, but he puts up with it.

I would go with the shop too. $300 isn't bad. There would be a lot of set up and clean up and it would keep your neighbors happy.

AND,if you live in a place that has an association,I'd bet anything you'd be about halfway through when they would show up and tell you to stop. Some associations won't let you wash your car in the driveway.

My 2 cents. Show pics too!