just got a 1200!

squatches

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ford windsor don't take much money to swap in. Some guys even shorten a driveshaft and rear axle at home. If you can weld exhaust pipe you could do it near free, just fabricate the parts needed. Buy an old ford for $250 so you have everything needed.

If the head is not warped, just put it back together after prepping it. A lot of engines have a scratch or two in the cylinder, which doesn't necessarily ruin the compression. Use an aluminum level as a straightedge. If you cannot get a 0.005" feeler gauge in it's OK. Try both sides of the level in case one side is not quite straight. Mine was warped 0.020! So I didn't put it back on but went with a swap.

23346.jpg

Ford windsor don't take much money to swap in. Some guys even shorten a driveshaft and rear axle at home. If you can weld exhaust pipe you could do it near free, just fabricate the parts needed. Buy an old ford for $250 so you have everything needed.

If the head is not warped, just put it back together after prepping it. A lot of engines have a scratch or two in the cylinder, which doesn't necessarily ruin the compression. Use an aluminum level as a straightedge. If you cannot get a 0.005" feeler gauge in it's OK. Try both sides of the level in case one side is not quite straight. Mine was warped 0.020! So I didn't put it back on but went with a swap.

23346.jpg

that would be a sweet swap, and the wall is scarred pretty good you can feel ridges in it. i tried getting some pics but between lighting and my shitty phone you can really see it to well. im looking around at whats available around here and still on the cheap side to buy and mod to work, im broke, unemployed at moment and need a drivable car lol.

I know the feeling. I've been out of work a while now.

New head gasket is only $10. Should run as good as it did before with the ridge. If you leave manifolds on the head to avoid need for new manifold gasket, that's all it will cost.

oops to late for that i pulled both manifolds lol, i need to weld up the holes where the shiny tubes went into the airfilter housing anyways. the head gasket up set of gaskets is around $30-$40 and the lower half was $15 if i remember correctly. as for work ive been unemployed for a good while aswell, and with a broke back and ribs im kinda limited as to what i can do.

no need for a complete head set of gaskets. $15 will get you head gasket and manifold gasket. The valve cover gasket can almost always be reused unless it is cork. Or (carefully) use RTV, it works superb if done per directions. To prevent valve cover leaks, take time to hammer the flange flat and do not torque it down. Use two fingers to tighten using philips screwdriver.

i had just replace the valve cover gasket with a new rubber one or whatever their made out of so i should be good. i also hammered the screw holes flat again as you mentioned, they were torqued down alot at one point. but i figure if im going to end up rebuilding this one ill get the whole gasket set and refresh it all at once and know im set for awhile.

Git R done.

Then use it to pull my truck to Oregon :rofl:

haha i dont think the 12 would make it to oregon, and if it did we would go thru a few sets of tires in the front. If you come down ill take you over to that junkyard near the house that has all the 620's in it.