What are you doing tonight?

HRH

Speaking of oil filters, I just picked up a K&N for my 280Z. Stupid thing was $15. I am letting the Z cool down now to do a quick late night oil change. Should I get something else?

If you were over here, you would have enjoyed the LAST day of our bi-annual filter sale. A 1515 Ford filter (fits all L motors) was only about 3.74 for the gold. Awwww. :( :)

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of oil filters, I just picked up a K&N for my 280Z. Stupid thing was $15. I am letting the Z cool down now to do a quick late night oil change. Should I get something else?

Napa Gold Oil Filters ;) ,,, little less even at Regular Price :D

Wen't out to eat with and catchup with a Good Friend ,,, Worked on Z-Car ,,, Ate Some Moar when I came home :lol: ,,, :D ,,, trying to get seepy naow

Perfect video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIx4Y3TvAPk

Looks like the NAPA Gold and K&N filters are extremely close, with the K&N being slightly better due to the sealed anti-drain back valve.

Not really worth the $9 I'd save to return it and run down the road to NAPA to pick up their filter; but it's good to know for next time. I just hope the video is current and demonstrates the current design as I know filter companies like to change up(read: cheapen) designs from time to time.

NAPA Man, care to see if your boss will let you cut open a bunch and make a new video? :D Or hell, send me a bunch and I'll make a video :)

Perfect video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIx4Y3TvAPk

Looks like the NAPA Gold and K&N filters are extremely close, with the K&N being slightly better due to the sealed anti-drain back valve.

Not really worth the $9 I'd save to return it and run down the road to NAPA to pick up their filter; but it's good to know for next time. I just hope the video is current and demonstrates the current design as I know filter companies like to change up(read: cheapen) designs from time to time.

NAPA Man, care to see if your boss will let you cut open a bunch and make a new video? :D Or hell, send me a bunch and I'll make a video :)

I have a filter cut-away display on my counter at work guy! Go for it! What you see is what you get. OEM filter quality. I cut apart a FRAM pos just the other day since they stopped carrying the regular FRAM, they only have the 3x and 6x ones now. The regular 3x shur grip end whatever is still shit with cardboard endcaps and wussy spring, and no separate bypass mechanism. Bypass mode exposes the engine to filtered shit in the element as it goes past. WIX (NAPA) has a separate piece that bypasses the oil ahead of the actual filter element. So it's not filtering when in bypass mode, but it isn't pushing oil over what you've already filtered out, thus bringing contaminants back into the oil supply.

Bypass mode is for when the filter gets so clogged it can't pass oil, in case whoever reads that doesn't know. Usually this never happens unless you have a really shitty motor or never change your filter.

• Like 1

There's also one difference in the video that he mentions in the comments. The anti-drainback valve on the two NAPA filters are different. Black one found on the silver filter is nitrile rubber. The pinkish one is silicone on the gold. Other than that, pretty close. The lack of sealing in the bypass assembly isn't an issue because it has too much pressure to get past the element at that point, in which case it goes through the bypass and can't suck any dirt back into the clean oil supply.

We have switched things up a little, but the overall filter construction is basically the same. HOWEVER, we do have the Platinum line of filters now meant to go for 6 - 15,000 miles with synthetic oil use. These are not paper elements, they are glassmat filters just like the Baldwin/Donaldson, etc. More of a fleet option with only about 18 filters available so far if I remember correctly.

When I do the VH45DE swap I'm looking at getting one of AMSoil's Full/Partial dual filter system to catch everything under the 15-20 micron rating that the full-flow AMSoil and K&N filters are rated at. Apparently these partial-flow secondaries are rated at <1 micron. Dude over on the Evo forum is getting 25k miles out of his full synthetic and duel filter AMSoil set up.

I've been reading a handful of studies by parties like GM, BMW, Ford, Toyota; everyone is saying that most engine wear comes from the 3 to 12 micron particles.

When I do the VH45DE swap I'm looking at getting one of AMSoil's Full/Partial dual filter system to catch everything under the 15-20 micron rating that the full-flow AMSoil and K&N filters are rated at. Apparently these partial-flow secondaries are rated at <1 micron. Dude over on the Evo forum is getting 25k miles out of his full synthetic and duel filter AMSoil set up.

I've been reading a handful of studies by parties like GM, BMW, Ford, Toyota; everyone is saying that most engine wear comes from the 3 to 12 micron particles.

Interesting, what do those setups cost? Seems like it's overkill for most applications, but I certainly wouldn't mind filtering out more crap if it wasn't restrictive. I think the 1515 filters at 15 microns and there are lots of domestic V8s making big hp using stock filters. But every little bit.

I'm running 6000 mile change intervals with Royal Purple, changing the filter every 3000.