v6 hardbody vs pathfinder caliper

budsaipan

I was at the junkyard today and pulled the 2 piston calipers from pathfinder and a v6 hardbody 2wd. I noticed they look different. Same mounting holes but just looks different. The v6 hardbody 2wd had cooling fins on the caliper? and the pathfinder doesn't. So which one is better.

87 Hardbody v6 2wd

19948-bac.jpg

94 Pathfinder 4x4

171672-rit.jpg

I grabbed the hardbody one because the pathfinder calipers pistons were different between left and right side. Might have been a remanufactured on one side.

So which one is better? Whats the reason for the fins? Anyway I hid the other calipers at the junkyard so I can trade it if I feel the other one is better.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is interesting, i always thought they were the same, yet somebody posted once that there was some different part numbers.

Looks like they would interchange though, so functionally the same.

I am curious though about the weight of those calipers. The casting ares look smaller. And losing a couple pounds of unsprung weight would be a good thing. Any chance you can get a good measurement of weight from those before installed?

I can weigh in the hardbody one since I already have it. If someone can weigh the pathfinder. Although I tried weighing it by hand and it felt like it weigh about the same from what I can tell. It wasn't like one was alot heavier than the other. I'll use my weight scale to see.. I picked up the hardbody one cause of the cooling fins but not sure if it was a better choice..

I wonder if the pads and the rotor are the same? If not they may not interchange.

Brake pads interchange from 86-95 for heavy duty 2wd and 4wd. Centric

#10403330.

2wd rotors interchange from 86-95 also. Raybestos #96011r

This information came from Rockauto's interchange.

As far as I know, the 4x4 calipers and rotors are bigger between 2x4 versions of hardbody. If 4x4, they should be the same between trucks and pathys.

Calipers interchange between 2wd v6 trucks and the 4x4 trucks/pathifinders. The rotors are different though.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but since it's relevant...

I ordered a set of reman calipers for a 1993 D21 (hardbody) V6 and the left has fins and the right does not. This is how they were pictured online as well on multiple sites (raybestos boxed calipers). Kind of weird and a little annoying that they're different side to side. Is this normal?