Oil pan bar?

Just Joel

For lack of a better name, what is the bar that runs along the flange at the back corner of the oil pan on my l20b? It bolts down using the oil pan bolts and is form fit like a factory piece but I see no reference to it in the fsm or the other manuals I have. Should I put it back on or is it needed at all?

Thanks

Joel

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

PUT IT BACK ON! I forgot to, and i'm going to be replacing my thick cork gasket and adding it back now, because mine's pouring some out for it's homies that died on the streets. It's like a reinforcement for the oil pan bolts for a small section of the pan right? It's a bitch to do when it's already installed.

PUT IT BACK ON! I forgot to, and i'm going to be replacing my thick cork gasket and adding it back now, because mine's pouring some out for it's homies that died on the streets. It's like a reinforcement for the oil pan bolts for a small section of the pan right? It's a bitch to do when it's already installed.

Cork gasket?!?

:hmm:

Why are cork gaskets still being made?

IDK, what's wrong with them?

Besides cracking easily after a short amount of time or heat?

Nothing.

And being a terrible pain to get off when replacing?

Nothing.

Let me guess...Victor Reinz gasket kit?

I've never had good luck with them, and prefer something else...that may be just me though.

Besides cracking easily after a short amount of time or heat?

Nothing.

And being a terrible pain to get off when replacing?

Nothing.

Let me guess...Victor Reinz gasket kit?

I've never had good luck with them, and prefer something else...that may be just me though.

What has been on my my L16 for forever. Came off easy. Came of the L18 easy, twice.

And they are probably Fel-Pro. I cant find many other brands near by...

FelPro has a weird textured rubber oil pan gasket with their kit.

Have a brand new kit I just got.

I know Victor Reinz is notorious for having cork gaskets in their kits.

Never dealt with cork on a Datto...

But on everything else I've ever worked on with cork has been a nightmare.

Oil pans. Trans pans. Valve covers.

Even other techs I've worked with bitch and whine about cork.

Anyways...total thread jack.

I don't have any clue the brackets OP is talking of.

lol... I got excited when I saw I had eight responses ;)

This bar is shaped and drilled for just the back corner, for about five holes in each dirrection. No pics off hand (I'm on my phone at work) but why would nissan only bar a small portion of the pan flange? Seems like there should be a lot more if these if their intent was to reinforce the lip? Anyone know what I'm talking about? Must not be a very common thing for these old l motors...

Thanks

Joel

I have the bar on my motors as well. Not sure why its needed, but if you have it, use it. I have used it on mine even when i didn't want to and haven't had any issues. Guess they put it there for a reason? Probably to even out the pressure holding the gasket tight. So far, no leaks :D

I believe they came stock on the Z car engines and basically they allow you to tighten the pan down without distorting the pan rail(as long as you dont over tighten it) and causing a leak in the lowest part of the pan keep it in there they help

Clayton

It's a reinforcement for flexing, thus opening the back end of the oil pan and causing a leak. Use with or without. No reason not to use it really.

As far as oil pan gaskets go, cork sucks. I don't use gaskets anymore. The Right Stuff gasket maker only. It's a bitch to get off, but I'd rather spend 30 minutes scraping than deal with an oil pan leak. I've sealed the 510 and the truck with Right Stuff, never had leak one. Pretty much using it on all oil pan gaskets unless otherwise specified. Just make sure the pick up tube doesn't hit the bottom of the pan.