WTF would cause a high pitched squeel in an l20b?

.sunlover

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just haven't bought the thermostatic switch for the fan yet, manual switch inside hides the smoke screen. wasn't able to check the adapter plate for a crack yet, no pcv valve, it would be louder with the oil cap off if it was rubbing internally, the header has been on this l20b head except when the heads been off for 300000 miles or so, however many since the mid 70s when it was installed by a mechanic originally. He was on the leading edge of the l20b head on an l16 and lightened flywheel btw. I'm remembering it being on the 2 pin, I think I tried whichever one was for a tight chain, but it needed the 2. not 100% sure a bolt didn't back out, just a quick check on that, I relaxed when I found it not to be an internal rubbing, went in and appologized to my GF for being irritated, and hung with my kid some. now it's dark, and i'm hitting it fresh tomorrow, starting with the intake/exhaust starting with the carb adapter. thank god for pb blaster, antisieze, Ratsun, and forgiving GF's :) Not in that order though.

Wayno advised clutch in and out test, and no change in whistle or squeel, whatever it is, I can't differentiate. noticed a missing shared intake/exhaust bolt today. Need a fat washer before the bolt to replace and see if it seals again without replacing gaskets, got some in my work toolbox (tomorrow night). Occupied myself adding a Nordic helm of awe to my windshield, and running new tubing for the pissers, and the smoke screen. Didn't get to the ultra coil upgrade today, gotta drill mounting holes, just figured where and how i'll mount it for today. Got the GF and son here this weekend, so didn't want to be rude. Thanks mike, with all the answers you've had for others, I was kinda' suprised you didn't have an itemized list of what it could be. I am a mechanic, but this is a new and strange problem, whistle or squeel that drags down rpm's and isn't internal, or alternator/water pump/belt when everythings new and fresh. Guessing intake is letting in air after carb mixes it up just right and dropping the idle down. It revs slower and with less fierceness I also noticed.

• 2 weeks later...

It was my adapter bracket for my weber, 73 bucks in wasted money, and there it was. Forgot it shared 2 bolts with the stock mount, eliminated it from my troubleshooting when I grabbed my carb, and it was tight. now, I know. Hope this saves someone 73 bucks sometime in the future. All I needed was a retorque, 0 dollar fix.