Can you build your own exhaust?

JasonGW

So I've decided I'm not going to put the old, rusty-ass exhaust pipe back into my 210. However, I'm going to stick to the 1.5" pipe, as it seems that's the best way to ensure fuel economy is maintained (according to some threads here). Question is, can you just assemble your own? I notice that several of the local parts places have exhaust chunks, but is it a good idea to do that? Last thing i wanna do is screw it up :).

Thanks!

Jason

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Modern American spec inch and a half exhaust pipe is way thicker and will last longer than the original Datsun pipes [although mine lasted 44 years!] and any real exhaust shop can bend, twist, cludge any configuration of original Datsun pipe run. I had a local shop fabricate a [never really was stocked as replacement parts "they never wear out"] RL411 down pipe recently, they had to reuse the section from the flange to the vertical to horizontal transition due to the unique "deformation" of the original pipe into a "D" cross section to clear tires during left turns.

Modern American spec inch and a half exhaust pipe is way thicker and will last longer than the original Datsun pipes [although mine lasted 44 years!] and any real exhaust shop can bend, twist, cludge any configuration of original Datsun pipe run. I had a local shop fabricate a [never really was stocked as replacement parts "they never wear out"] RL411 down pipe recently, they had to reuse the section from the flange to the vertical to horizontal transition due to the unique "deformation" of the original pipe into a "D" cross section to clear tires during left turns.

Bizarre, but cool. I'll just take it in someplace. Think they'll let me bring my own muffler and cat? Speaking of which, I wonder if I should get a new cat. Muffler for sure, because it's got rust holes, but the cat looks fine (just ugly, but hell, it's underneath anyway :P).

About how much should I expect to pay?

Thanks!

Jason

Drive there and get a bid. Or just call them, how hard is that? Should get a quote right over the phone. Just ask them all the questions your asking us and get-r-dun. (did i just type get-r-dun?) :huh:

I will, but I was just curious what others have paid :)

More cheap workmanship ahead if ya aint got the stomach for it please click away NOW !!

Im building this to be cheap and on that note i am going to be putting most of the money spent on brakes and engine, so i made me an exhaust out of scrap today.Going through "the hole" would take either to much time or money so it exits out in front of drivers side rear tire..IMSA style baby

Started with this pile of crap..and, what i think was a galvanized fence post

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ156.jpg

ended up with this ( completely sealed ) pile of crap.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ154.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ155.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ157.jpg

Just do it !!................biggrin.gif

Think they'll let me bring my own muffler and cat? Speaking of which, I wonder if I should get a new cat.

if they don't, find another shop!!!

i re did my stock to 1.5" for ~$120, muffler-no cat.

if there is one now, you'll need it to pass the visual for smog. .. maybe :unsure: