74' 710

damnitDave

1974 710.the name is a Christine kind of a thing.its the first owner's name.automatic,yeah yeah,3 speed.my first L18 experience.came with glove-box manual service booklet and service card!its pretty intact,and has lived in the grants pass area for its whole life,so rust is minimum.

i test drove,poked and prodded,deemed her slightly sea-worthy and blazed home.the kid i bought i from has hacked the exhaust off in half and added a fart can.so it not only smells but sounds like shit ,lol.i about died on the way home through the redwoods.triiiippin out on fumes bro!i drove it back 4 hours from Grants pass like that.most of the electronics are still functioning.the interior is so nice for the year i would call it an 8 out of 10 (its a little grubby ,but ill clean it up niiiiiice.)seats need new springs or new seats.Im pretty stoked on it.

TO DO LIST:

body straightened up ,emblems back on,get rid of those ghastly bumpers,and paint

adjustable coil-overs and dip her in the front

some decent rims,not that i dont like the steel ufos

headers,cherry bomb and straight pipe

get some tunes going fer fuck sakes!

b2NIP.jpg

iGAJj.jpg

lcZh4.jpg

ZbV47.jpg

6Oi3h.jpg

dB0II.jpg

lKmAo.jpg

mlUth.jpg

my funny mug and the interior

7kvq6.jpg

YxOFI.jpg

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the early hardtop got the good bumpers, didn't know the '74s got them. Very cool.

remember '74 is first year sold in usa ;)

only hardtops got the smiley bumpers, not the sedans or goons

in '75, ht's also got the "park bench" bumpers

@damnit, those are the best bumpers on the usa 710's

pull off the shocks, rubber crap, make new brackets to mount close to body :cool:

@damnit, those are the best bumpers on the usa 710's

pull off the shocks, rubber crap, make new brackets to mount close to body :cool:

You can drill the shock behind the bumper and let the oil out by pushing them closer to the car, then use the holes that you drilled for set screws. Easy, cheap, Ratsun... :thumbup:

@ zerow holy smokes,i love simple.ill get to it as soon as its not buttcrack early in the mornin.

You are welcome. Its the reason I joined this site to begin with... :)

You can drill the shock behind the bumper and let the oil out by pushing them closer to the car, then use the holes that you drilled for set screws. Easy, cheap, Ratsun... :thumbup:

Zerow, you've done this??? I started to and then saw the sticker warning about high pressure. Heard stories about people welding on them and blowing them up. If you can safelt drill them let me know because ai really want to move mine back and trim the rubber moulding.

Hit up bonvo directly - he has done it, and he and I talked at length about it. High pressure? I heard nothing of the sort. My 610 is a '73, so I have always had brackets...No Nixon-ness here...

Will:yep grants pass for $1000.i had to drive 35 mins outside of rouge river .not bad at all.

the interior is ,for its age,pristine.i was cleaning it up yesterday and was floored(pun intended) lol.

got as far as removing the bumper yesterday.love the cleaned up looks.drilling the bumper out today.strippers on their way.....:cool:

YSw7d.jpg

Oh, here are some photos of my car with the bumpers pulled in close to the body - they don't look quite so ungainly with all of the plastic removed!

Mine is from '74 too, but for some reason it has different seats and different trim on the trunk.

IMG_7373.jpg

IMG_7372.jpg

IMG_7374.jpg

i went into town to do just that Greg and got distracted by our local drag strips classic car day......there was two other Datty's there.the Dime wasnt racing,just in the parking lot.

sorry for the unrelated Vista Cruizer pic but i had to share.it was one of the nicest and fastest cars out there today.tomorrow i get on those fuckin bumpers if it kills me

@Will...because they look so HOT close in like that!tight ride.im guessing the difference is that you have the SSS version(or similar) ?regardless,did you sink the bumpers?how so?drilling through or chopping and welding it back up?

3lmtn.jpg

f5gtq.jpg

Y46WU.jpg

The previous owner did the work to the bumpers - he made it sound like it was a simple matter of disassembling the shocks and removing/shortening the springs. I don't think it is anything too complex. Mine is the same as yours pretty much - the USA only got our 710s to the Deluxe trim level ...no SSS 710s were brought here, ...but here's a Japanese brochure showing all we missed out on:

http://www.ratdat.co...range_japan.pdf

@Will...because they look so HOT close in like that!tight ride.im guessing the difference is that you have the SSS version(or similar) ?regardless,did you sink the bumpers?how so?drilling through or chopping and welding it back up?

was out at the track again yesterday but i did get to do the front bumper.

:blink:DUDE! wear some safety shit when you do this!.i took a piece of shrapnel in the arm from my shitty drill bit busting up in the shock when it released the gas.

looks 100% better .i tacked it up with a welder instead of the screw idea.im going to do the back set this afternoon.

also i waxed her up for the track.came out ok.

Edit:any recomendations on a front strut replacement for lowering her a couple of inches?anything i should watch out for on the 710?thanks in advance!

edkQ6.jpg

CoebQ.jpg