Identify me please

IMG_9235.jpg

This is my 5 speed non dogleg transmission that is bolted to my L18 in my 71 521. PO said it was out of a 200sx of a unknown year. You can kinda make out the number on the bell housing. I'm trying to search the forum for identifying markers. So far seems like not to many people run the standard 5 speed. Everyone assumes dogleg when a five speed is mentioned in regards to my truck. I'll keep looking, and if more oics are needed let me know. Thanks.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMG_9235.jpg

This is my 5 speed non dogleg transmission that is bolted to my L18 in my 71 521. PO said it was out of a 200sx of a unknown year.

I believe that number is just the serial number, You want to take a picture of the side of it where it will say 60A or something similar and have a little round marking next to it to figure out what you have.

I don't think a 60 series tranny was ever used on the L series motor. See that ridge cast into the top of the bellhousing? The dogleg does not have it (owner says non dogleg anyway) and I'm pretty sure it's an FS5W71B. The 200sx of any year or generation never had a non dogleg 5 speed that would fit the L series motor. The number is pretty much useless for ID purposes.

Length isn't mentioned. If a 'shorty' then it could only be from a 720 with an L bell swap. If long 620, 280z/zx or Maxima. If the bell was swapped 720, S110 (200sx) or S12 (200sx) possibly. A picture of the pass side might help...

It's a longshaft, I have been in the drivers seat, the shifter hole has been relocated. It was kind of nice being that close, he has bucket seats, so do I in the 521 KC, I have to lean forward to shift into 1st, 3rd, and 5th as my seats are way back, but I have lots of legroom, oh the sacrifices we make. :lol:

I guess if you take your '79 zx in for warranty work on the tranny the dealer knows the year of manufacture from the door tag. The tranny tells him the month it was built, and parts are ordered. Simple. FF to 2011 and who knows what it's in or been in when you find a 5 speed. Too bad.

Nissan automatics are different and have the last number of the year of manufacture and a month code.

This is the transmission that Kevin has in his 521. It looks like a 620 5 speed to me. BTW Kevin, it's finally freaking charging, and that stupid ign. light is not on for the first time in a year and a half, now I am going to have to replace that alt. because I took it out of a working system and I don't even care, the freaking light isn't on anymore.

DSCN0764.jpg

DSCN0763.jpg

DSCN0762.jpg

DSCN0765.jpg

I've found that the funny fillet braces around the adapter case bolts tend to be used on the 280z trannys. This does not necessarily make it so. It's just a different rear case half and after 30+ years these trannys have been swapped all over.

DSCN0765.jpg

All diesel transmissions used a 'wide ratio' gear set with a very low 1st gear. (same as the '79 620 with the 4.11 rear gears and the same as all 720 4x4. If you had trouble in 5th on the highwaymaybe you had the zx 5 speed with the 26% over drive.

I don't know if I have a original diesel transmission left anymore, i just use any longshaft gasser 5 speed(for the 720 dually diesel) made between 80-86, and the 521 KC diesel i use the 85-86 720 shortshaft 2wd tranny. I have felt no differance between the gasser tranny and the diesel tranny. 1st gear is the same as far as I can tell, fact is the diesel will handle 370 gears no problem, and I am now looking for the 350 something gears. The thing about the diesel is that in first you can only go 15-20mph max, because your over reving the engine, it doesn't like reving over 3000rpm, thats when the L blocks start waking up, so it might seem like 1st gear is differant in the diesel tranny, but it's not as far as I can tell. I have never been lucky enough to stumble into one of them overdrive trannys in the 280Z cars yet, someday.