Speedo cable

73DATSON

Ok I have a 73 510 2door with a L20B and 5speed tranny. The speedo cable that can with the car had a hard 90 going into the tranny, I think it was too short. Now it snap and I need to order a new one. Since I'm not sure on what tranny I have how I order a new cable? Anyone?THX.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Speedo cables are still available through AutoZone online. I think you order the one for an auto wagon, they're supposed to be longer.

I think the late '71-'72 3N71B auto cables are driven from the pass side and will be 'slightly' longer, I'll check. I used a short driver's side 4 speed cable on my long pass side 5 speed. I completely re-routed it down over the tranny bell and to the pass side and it works just fine.

I think the late '71-'72 3N71B auto cables are driven from the pass side and will be 'slightly' longer, I'll check. I used a short driver's side 4 speed cable on my long pass side 5 speed. I completely re-routed it down over the tranny bell and to the pass side and it works just fine.

Well that's how mine came, the cable runs over the bell on the tranny. But it's still broke.

Just bought one from rock auto for a stock application 510... They don't differentiate between auto trans and manual so they stock the longer of the two (as stated the auto trany is longer) and I have confirmed that the cable is about ten inches longer than stock four speed cable. Is it long enough for the five speed? Don't know yet but it is longer ;)

Later

Joel