added tach/clock to base cluster :)

mikec

i've been growing tired of the ugly ass delete plates in the base cluster, so when i found an S/T at the yard last 1/2 off weekend at the JY i grabbed it to hybrid into mine. all in all i'm extremely happy with the new gauges and am really glad i decided to hit this little mini-project! anyways, here are the results. the tach and clock both work flawlessly :)

before:

2uqgmjd.jpg

new gauges:

nnjfo4.jpg

gutted donor cluster:

20uc328.jpg

gauges installed:

15qxf91.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

after driving around a little bit, i feel as though the tach is off. out of curiosity, i pushed it while trusting the readout, and at 4k the engine was absolutely roaring. at ~45 mph in 5th i'm still around 2k rpms. is this accurate for a 3.70 diff?

• 2 weeks later...

was the tach just plug n play? i added the clock to mine (no luck finding a tach yet) and the oil pres/volt pod. everything works cept the pressure since i have no sensor yet. curious if the tach needs a sensor once i do find one

• 1 month later...

was the tach just plug n play? i added the clock to mine (no luck finding a tach yet) and the oil pres/volt pod. everything works cept the pressure since i have no sensor yet. curious if the tach needs a sensor once i do find one

Yes...resistor is needed...and yes I have a extra tach

PM if interested

• 3 weeks later...

I finally found a tach about a month ago, and just put it in with no complications. Which was a god sendsince I just installed a weber and had no way to know where I was sitting for idle. Turns out I was idling at almost 1500. But I am still curious about this resistor. Anybody have a pic of it?

On another note, anybody have an oil pressure sensor with the 2 wires and maybe the harness. I can't find the 2nd wire for it

2.2K (2,200) ohms. I think earlier 720 had them just to the rear of the battery, newer 720s, they are on the harness between the coils and headlights on the driver's side. If you don't have the tach option there will be no resister and the plug will be taped up and hard to find. I've seen these resisters in Z cars and S110 and S12 200sx. They are in any car with a tach from late 70s to at least mid 80s, maybe linger.

22Kresistor2.jpg

after driving around a little bit, i feel as though the tach is off. out of curiosity, i pushed it while trusting the readout, and at 4k the engine was absolutely roaring. at ~45 mph in 5th i'm still around 2k rpms. is this accurate for a 3.70 diff?

If you have the stock 195/75R14 tires 2,200 RPM would be 45 MPH. You have an automatic? if you have 3.70 axle??? By calculation 2K would be 41MPH plus or minus..