What is a '78 truck 5 speed suppose to sound like?

josh817

I filled my tranny with fluid, the new speedo cable is tightened all the way, the fill/drain plugs are sealing, yet I see around the rear of the tranny that oil is flung all under the truck. So I figured I over filled a little and it kinda came out the rear seal. I think it has stopped now and I haven't checked the fluid level yet. Yesterday was the first highway drive and I noticed the tranny whines.

1st gear - no whine

2nd gear - no whine

3rd gear - slight whine

4th gear - no whine

5th gear - whine

Reverse - whine (never heard a reverse from any car that didn't whine)

5th gear is especially noticeable when I slip the clutch into gear you can hear it pick up. However anything below 50MPH it whines, above 50 it doesn't, not accelerating no whine. Every gear is easy to shift into and out of.

I'm hoping all the oil didn't fling out the back of the tranny. When I was cruising without the shift boot, I only felt a few drops, it wasn't spraying out thats for sure. When the truck is parked, no oil drips. Oh and I filled the tranny with GL-5 I believe, up to the fill hole.

My Z has had two 5 speeds so far but it's too loud to hear the tranny so I honestly don't know if a datsun truck tranny has it's own noises...

Ideas?

Oh and in case if this one is fixing to blow, the Z tranny is a long 5 speed? I already paid to have my drive shaft shortened by 5" for the tranny I have now... I don't want to have to change that again..

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright I guess it did somehow puke most of its fluid... I didn't put an entire quart of fluid in but it still took a little bit of fluid without dribbling out the fill hole. I dipped my finger into the fill hole and there is oil in there and it is clear and doesn't have a burnt smell to it. It was making the whining noise for about 50 miles of 60mph highway driving, to give you an idea.

Hopefully I didn't do a no no... When I bought the engine tranny combo, it didn't come with a rear yoke flange so I just used the one from my old 521 4 speed. It slid on there without any visual gaps. Are the two different sizes, by a small amount?

I filled my tranny with fluid, the new speedo cable is tightened all the way, the fill/drain plugs are sealing, yet I see around the rear of the tranny that oil is flung all under the truck. So I figured I over filled a little and it kinda came out the rear seal. I think it has stopped now and I haven't checked the fluid level yet. Yesterday was the first highway drive and I noticed the tranny whines.

1st gear - no whine

2nd gear - no whine

3rd gear - slight whine

4th gear - no whine

5th gear - whine

Reverse - whine (never heard a reverse from any car that didn't whine)

5th gear is especially noticeable when I slip the clutch into gear you can hear it pick up. However anything below 50MPH it whines, above 50 it doesn't, not accelerating no whine. Every gear is easy to shift into and out of.

Reverse gerars are straight cut and make noise... it's normal. Only 4th gear transmits power straight through the tranny and thus is usually very quiet. All other gears put the counter shaft under load. Probably one of the counter shaft bearings.

I'm hoping all the oil didn't fling out the back of the tranny. When I was cruising without the shift boot, I only felt a few drops, it wasn't spraying out thats for sure. When the truck is parked, no oil drips. Oh and I filled the tranny with GL-5 I believe, up to the fill hole.

My Z has had two 5 speeds so far but it's too loud to hear the tranny so I honestly don't know if a datsun truck tranny has it's own noises...

The 280z and the 620 truck transmissions are the same, the '79 has different ratios is all.

GL-5 is not advised. It is not compatible with copper/brass/'yellow metal' synchros. Nissan recommends GL-4 so don't listen to some mimimun wage tell you GL-5 is better.... it is, but not for brass synchro rings. Find GL-4 or anything marked 'yellow metal safe or compatible'.

Hopefully I didn't do a no no... When I bought the engine tranny combo, it didn't come with a rear yoke flange so I just used the one from my old 521 4 speed. It slid on there without any visual gaps. Are the two different sizes, by a small amount?

Unfortunately you did do a no-no. The spline on the 521 is bolted on and if used on a different transmission there is a large hole not sealed by the nut and oil will leak out. This hole can be sealed up with a 40mm frost plug.

Bolt on flange output from 521 4 speed.

transF4W63520-521flangeo-p.jpg

40mm plug in the end of the 521 flange to seal in the tranny oil.

521flangeonnonflangeF4W63needsplug.jpg

Thanks for the pictures... I'm not really sure what transmission I pulled from was then... It certainly didn't have a bolt on flange but was a 4 speed, was in my 521, and was a short box.

I will get GL 4 when I change the seal this week. As long as this box can hold up for 3 days for my seal to ship in. I'll drive my other car actually to be safe... I used GL 5 because it was all the store had at the time.

I'm going to go outside and get a picture of the tranny I pulled from. I'm pretty sure I didn't have to pull a nut off nor did I see any threads but let me check just to be sure!

Oh and Mike do you have a Napa PN or something for the freeze plug. O'Reileys and Napa are making me type in a vehicle for freeze plugs... I just want a plug, any plug to any car, just the right size... lol

EDIT:

Here is what I pulled from. I don't see any threads that a nut would screw onto. I will still check the flange to make sure the PO didn't swap them.

250mu6p.jpg

No harm done on the GL-5 it would take a long time to do any damage.

The original 4 speed could have been chaged. Other than the flange output it is identical to the 510 wagon and the early 620 tranny. The 510 sedan is also the same but with different internal ratios.

Just checked Napa, they have GL4 but it's "tractor hydraulic fluid". If it will work, I will take the drive out there to get it.

xkouhh.jpg

Hopefully Napa or O'Rieleys will have freeze plugs on the rack so I don't have to guess what car a 40mm plug is from. Unless perhaps you already know?

Thanks for the help.

Dude we were posting at the same time....not sure that would really work. Hopefully you come back and see the info I posted. It has worked well in my 4 speed

Hey north texas ahve ya heard about the Multi state grand national show in Williams AZ? 650 miles from DFW to Albuquerque...370 Miles Albuquerque to Williams...Just pimpin it a little, if interested see the info und the events tab.

BTW not sure that Hydraulic fluid would work...did they list a Viscosity?

Edit: not sure if they have quarts. This is the only GL4 I ahve been able to find. But then again I can't stand shopping :P

Hey north texas ahve ya heard about the Multi state grand national show in Williams AZ? 650 miles from DFW to Albuquerque...370 Miles Albuquerque to Williams...Just pimpin it a little, if interested see the info und the events tab.

BTW not sure that Hydraulic fluid would work...did they list a Viscosity?

Edit: not sure if they have quarts. This is the only GL4 I ahve been able to find. But then again I can't stand shopping :P

"Premium HD Hydraulic & Transmission Fluid Features Multi-Viscosity 10W-20 Fluid Suitable For Year-Round Use, Non-Foaming w/ Outstanding Anti-Wear & Extreme Pressure Protection For Highly-Loaded Gears, OE Approved Formulation & Additive System

For Hydraulics Denison HF-O, HF-1, HF-2, Vickers I-286-S, M2950S, Eaton Hydraulics, Sauer Sundstrand

For Transmissions Low Speed / High Torque, GM Allison C-4, C-3, Caterpillar TO-2, Renk Bus ATF"

I will just look for the thing you posted. Last thing I want is to have to crawl under there AGAIN. :rolleyes:

Do not use 10W-20 in your transmission. Use 80W-90 or 85W-140 or just plain 90 weight.

The rear seal can leak like that for years, if it's not dripping on the ground, just top up the transmission every few months. I know because I've had many Datsuns that leaked a little.

Do not use 10W-20 in your transmission. Use 80W-90 or 85W-140 or just plain 90 weight.

The rear seal can leak like that for years, if it's not dripping on the ground, just top up the transmission every few months. I know because I've had many Datsuns that leaked a little.

The seal is #32136 E0100 and only $8 at the dealer and cheaper anywhere else. Pays for itself in oil saved and time spent.

Put the new seal in, found that indeed the flange was how you said, Mike! I guess the previous owner never got it to work in the other tranny. I hope that other tranny really was a 4 speed... It had the square base and I could only count 4 geers but it was sloppy. I assumed it was the original 4 speed.

Parts store didn't have a 40mm plug but like a 1 9/16" which is 39.7mm. It was a little too easy to put in but I think it will work for now. I put some sealant around the edge and stuff. Parts stores are so useless sometimes...

When I get GL4 fluid and crawl under there again I'll see if I can't get a real 40mm plug. The thing that took the longest was undoing the 4 drive shaft bolts, so it was a pretty easy fix!

I've got a T5 tranny from the Z. I'm curious if that has a flange I can scavenge.

Get a few feet of old garden hose and a dollar store kitchen funnel. Run the hose up beside the motor and pour in from up there.

Sealer should work, it isn't under pressure it just seeps out.

The T-5 Borg Warner is a bastard tranny. I don't think there is anything on it that is Nissan made, even the output spline is different so don't even bother.

Get a few feet of old garden hose and a dollar store kitchen funnel. Run the hose up beside the motor and pour in from up there.

Sealer should work, it isn't under pressure it just seeps out.

The T-5 Borg Warner is a bastard tranny. I don't think there is anything on it that is Nissan made, even the output spline is different so don't even bother.

Brilliant Mike! Theres something wrong with me. My entire truck is themed to be as simply designed as possible and here I am thinking of complicated ideas like drilling/tapping a fill hole in an easier spot. Water hose, funnel, duh. :rofl:

I think I'm going to use the truck for my first scrap haul. The old rusted L16 block has pistons stuck in it and I want the rods, now the T5, all the old drum brake shit I pulled, etc. Make some lunch money for the weekend. :thumbup: