Rattle can paint?

Hey, my car is currently mostly orange but there where a couple of bad rust spots which I used por-15 paint and primer. The problem is their primer is a very light grey color which looks aweful against the orange.

Do any of you have a recommendation for the best type of rattle can paint? I'm either going to do dark grey/dull black or preferably a dull/light orange similar to the color of the car.

I just want it presentable and decent looking, I don't care if its not a perfect match or a little ratty.

Any help/comments are appreciated as always. Thanks!

Here is an example of a bad rust spot and the color of the car.

img20110730195908.th.jpg

I already sanded that down and covered with por-15 and primer. I don't have pictures of it uploaded yet.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just spent the weekend looking for a rattle can paint that matches that orange. Decided to go with black in the engine bay since I could find anything close to the orange. Good luck in your search.

Hmm thanks for the reply, I guessed it would be hard to find a dull orange but I didn't realize it would be that rare. Did you find anything even close? I don't mind if its not matching, as long as it looks OK its better than light grey primer.

krylon is going to be the easiest decent paint to find.

dont use the 98cent walmart shit..... its watery as fuck :blink:

if you want it to look good take your time spreading even overlapping coats.

rattle can jobs can look really nice if done right.

I dont know about orange, spraying an orange on it will make it look like a failed attempt at body repair. Spraying something else (white, black, grey, anything else really) means you have accepted the fate of the panel, and will attempt to fix it the relative near future.

After paint, you could always throw a bunch of stickers on there!

krylon is going to be the easiest decent paint to find.

dont use the 98cent walmart shit..... its watery as fuck :blink:

if you want it to look good take your time spreading even overlapping coats.

rattle can jobs can look really nice if done right.

Is something like duplicolor rattle can good quality? I usually buy auto paint at auto stores. mellow.gif I don't shop at wal-mart.I did do some decent overlaping coats on the primer job and it looks good. Gonna definitely do the best job I can for the rattle can.

I dont know about orange, spraying an orange on it will make it look like a failed attempt at body repair. Spraying something else (white, black, grey, anything else really) means you have accepted the fate of the panel, and will attempt to fix it the relative near future.

After paint, you could always throw a bunch of stickers on there!

Yeah, I understand that but sometimes it give an interesting ratty multi-shade look. Like lisa's dime. laugh.gif (in person there are like 5 shades of green, but it looks cool still)

I'm probably going to end up just putting some black over it, but I still want to consider getting a close-matching orange.

Love my Rustoleum Orange Paint Job! Lasts almost 2 years fore it fades to pink!

Dude. poke.gif

You Asked <_<

Dude. :P It was sarcasm.

I used to buy paint at art store that was color matched and put in spray can for you it was kinda reasonable.. although you live in Cali. so probably illegal to sell there.

Yeah, sounds nice but I have no idea what color was used with this... Was this orange a factory color? Also I doubt it came with body filler from the factory. hmm.png

Find some orange close to it.

Square it off if paineters tape and paint it. Over time it will blend in better.

I hadd black primer in spots then finally did with red can paint and looks alot better for a beater. least it blends in one major color.

Yup, I was thinking the same thing. I already masked off the area and did a decent primer job, but the light grey of the por-15 primer looks awful against the orange. I realize I forgot to get a pic last night.

This is going to be a sort of rat/race/show car eventually.. I just want it to look presentable without rusting to hell.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Sarcasm-Motivational-Poster-house-md-3805895-500-400.jpg

So. Fucking. True.

Hey Ratsun, I heard you liek pics.

WAS, (After scraping some of the shit filler off...)

img20110730195908.jpg

img20110730113919.jpg

NOW,

img20110801211428.jpg

img20110801211437.jpg

Not the best job ever, but OK for my first time I think.

So now just gotta cover it up to look a bit nicer.

Oh man... I love this car. b.gif

img20110801211437.jpg

Not the best job ever, but OK for my first time I think.

So now just gotta cover it up to look a bit nicer.

my vote goes to rally car style number plate :cool:

alliance.jpg

or well done mash up of stickers works too

if you spray paint over existing body color, you might have better luck if you "back tape" it. Which means you roll the tape edge so you don't get that harsh edge between new paint and old paint. this works better with a fatter tape width, at least 2". afterwards you can do a light sand with very fine sandpaper (like 800 or 1000) and buff it out and it will hide better.

if you spray paint over existing body color, you might have better luck if you "back tape" it. Which means you roll the tape edge so you don't get that harsh edge between new paint and old paint. this works better with a fatter tape width, at least 2". afterwards you can do a light sand with very fine sandpaper (like 800 or 1000) and buff it out and it will hide better.

Cool, sounds good. I will try this once I have the paint.