Should I?????

Found this on cl near by offered him 250 for it comes with turbo and everything wasent planning on a b13 swap but..... it fits my budget and i have all winter to build it???? what do you guys think?

mazda rx7 engine 13b and parts 86-91

I have a rotary engine complete but needs rebuilt and also all components related to the engine including flywheel, coil packs, alternator, starter, cas(the electronic distributor) turbo II gauge cluster, turbo and nonturbo intake and exhaust manifolds, intercooler. Waterpumps.

also have shocks and other rx7 odds n ends

rack n pinion

Thanks crew!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like 1 out of 3 rear housings are reusable, non turbos are the easiest swap there is, 84-85 13b or 86+ convertable motors are too easy to not do . The motor mounts are on the middle iron, and it gets the weight further back and its easier to fab mounts, if you get one with a top mount oil cooler swap it out for the front mount type motors last longer couse they cool better. Long way to say, do it!

Do it. JDIN. Don't get too fancy, just swap it in. You don't need to change the front brakes or other things that guys ususally do.

They don't make kits because it's relatively easy if you can weld up the brackets. Cut a new hole in the tunnel for the shifter as it is back a few inches. Have a custom driveshaft made for $250.

You might consider to have Racing Beat rebuild the engine than to do it yourself. Their rebuilds cost less than a piston engine rebuild, at least they did a few years ago.

Do it. JDIN. Don't get too fancy, just swap it in. You don't need to change the front brakes or other things that guys ususally do.

They don't make kits because it's relatively easy if you can weld up the brackets. Cut a new hole in the tunnel for the shifter as it is back a few inches. Have a custom driveshaft made for $250.

You might consider to have Racing Beat rebuild the engine than to do it yourself. Their rebuilds cost less than a piston engine rebuild, at least they did a few years ago.

Rotary rebuilds right now is at least $3,000. This is way more expensive than a piston engine. With bridge or perihpoeral port you are talking $5,000. I am building a monster peripheral port that should make at least 350HP to the wheels with nitrous and it will cost 5K+.

I'm not tryin to build some crazy 400 hp beast. every one keeps sayin 5k but no one says why?

rotaries arent cheap. First off, you say you want to drag it right? What kind of power are you looking for? (if not 400). and rotary510, a p-port should make boookoooo more than 350hp even without nitrous....

Good on ya. Only $300 for a rebuild kit. You don't have to replace every part with racing parts. the $5,000 way isn't the only way. Hopefully yours will not require any replacement parts or expensive machining.

You can drag a stock rotary. Goes pretty good too, compared to an L16.

I heard guys swap the 12A front housings so they get different engine mounting, one guy told me it was the easier way to fit into a Datsun.

rotaries arent cheap. First off, you say you want to drag it right? What kind of power are you looking for? (if not 400). and rotary510, a p-port should make boookoooo more than 350hp even without nitrous....

At the dyno a well done peripheral port will make approx. 300 HP at the wheels, typically 290. With nitrous you can add like 50 HP at most. So 350 HP is about right for my estimates. My brother in Puerto Rico runs 9.2 sec 1/4 miles with a PP nitrous pushing only 340HP, guts, cage, 9" ford rear end - tubbed, parachute and wheelie bars with a clutch less shifter.

well if I do try this its not gonna be a drag car.... l16 auto just isn't cutting it need mor fasta. even if I did a ka or sr swap I still have to cut the floor and add a clutch, around these parts I haven't found anything decent under a grand that didn't still need to be rebuilt.

12a housing dont fit a 13b the gslse hab center housing motor mounts but the housings and irons are gslse specific, the convertable second gen has center housing mounts and some random coupes do also but thet use the front housing mounts, the 12a guys dont use the front housing they use the water pump. Perifial port(6 port) motors arnt turbo motors unles you mean aftermarket "perifail port" wich usaly compromizes side seals and apex seals, just inlarge and elongate the ports I have a couple templates you can copy. Do the extra work and get the center mounts they realy get the weight back and make for a clean engine bay