Help with Datsun 510 Project

I bought my 510 with the intention of replacing the core support, but this project has quickly gotten out of control. I pulled the L-18 and dropped an SR and am realizing I might be in a little over my head and looking for some help getting my car back on the road. Have some really nice car audio equipment I could trade or carpentry.

Everything that has been done, has been done right so there won't be any backtracking to fix mistakes. The swap was running until I pulled everything to clean up the engine bay and harness.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not too late... finish cleaning the bay and slip the L18 back in.... enjoy the ride. When you have a plan begin again. The 'plan' should include a realistic expectation of your end results. In other words is this project do-able by you? Do you have the experience, tools, garage space and skills for this swap or is it more like: "my buddy has a welder". A realistic budget that allows for unexpected expenses that won't stop your progress. All the parts needed available and ready, no missing jig-saw pieces. Lots of research on similar swaps. Know all there is to know about it. What are the expected problems and how were they solved by others? You need to look at everything from the rad back to the rear rims.

Just the rad:

Will the old one work? Will you need a custom one? Will it fit without cutting the rad support? Will the SR electric fan fit or a custom one be needed? Where will the temp sensor for the fan be located? Will you use the SR sender that talks to the ECU? Over flow tank?

It's not too late... finish cleaning the bay and slip the L18 back in.... enjoy the ride. When you have a plan begin again. The 'plan' should include a realistic expectation of your end results. In other words is this project do-able by you? Do you have the experience, tools, garage space and skills for this swap or is it more like: "my buddy has a welder". A realistic budget that allows for unexpected expenses that won't stop your progress. All the parts needed available and ready, no missing jig-saw pieces. Lots of research on similar swaps. Know all there is to know about it. What are the expected problems and how were they solved by others? You need to look at everything from the rad back to the rear rims.

Just the rad:

Will the old one work? Will you need a custom one? Will it fit without cutting the rad support? Will the SR electric fan fit or a custom one be needed? Where will the temp sensor for the fan be located? Will you use the SR sender that talks to the ECU? Over flow tank?

Hey thanks for the reply. Bit late on dropping the L-18, sold it a year ago. The SR was running and driving in the 510. Thats when I pulled it back out started cleaning stuff up, but I hear what what your saying about some of the unexpected that just wasn't though all the way though. Laughed about the question "is this a project do-able to do by you". Gotta take a crack at stuff sometimes and hope for the best. I'm close on this project, but not quite there. Figured if somebody was looking for a stereo system and hand the knowledge rather than trying to re invent the wheel.

What do you need? You say the swap was done and running, until you pulled the it to clean up. Do you just need help reinstalling the engine? Or need help replacing the core support?

Need some help getting the engine re-installed, upgraded the breaks and scratching my head some of the plumbing (maxima rear disc, 280 fronts), and this is my first crack in turbo's.

The core support and engine bay looks sick. Got that all replaced, and the engine bay sprayed. Will load some pictures this week of where I'm at in the process.