1980 200sx 2.2 ohm resister

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you take a picture of it? I'm seeing mentions of a ballast resistor, and if that's the case, it's going to be several watts worth of resistor, so RadioShack's little 1/4 and 1/2 watt resistors won't stand up to it.

What type of ignition does the SX have in it? I thought ballast resistors were only used in points ignitions. If all it does is takes one of the coil terminals to ground, it might just be a noise suppression resistor instead.

The 1980 200sx uses a 2.2 ohm resister next to the coil. Anyone know what it does? Also, will a Radio Shack 2.2 ohm resister work in the same way if it were used?

I think it's for the tachometer like the one on the 720's.

Is this what your talking about??

6d76e371.jpg

2.2 kilo ohms. Big difference from 2.2. :P

1 watt.. Hmm.

Okay, you can make do with something from Radioshack, but the question is why?

That resistor should be fine unless it's damaged some how. What makes you believe it needs to be replaced?

You can make a ~2.2k ohm 1 watt resistor out of the 5 pack of 2.2k 1/2 watt resistors:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062325

You're going to make a series-parallel array out of four of the resistors.

_/---2.2k------2.2k---\______

\---2.2k------2.2k---/

Solder two of the resistors end to end making a 1/2watt 4.4k resistor. It's a good idea to shorten the center leads to make the overall package smaller. Do this twice.

Now with your new 4.4k resistors, twist the lead end pairs together on each side. This will create an approximate 1watt, 2.2k ohm resistor pack.

When using same value resistors:

Soldering resistors in series (end to end) sums the resistance values of all the resistors in a series while keeping the wattage capacity the same.

Soldering resistors in parallel (side by side) sums the wattage capacity while dividing the resistance value by the number of resistors.

Yeah, the picture ggzilla posted is for the fuel injectors. It drops it from 12v to whatever minimal voltage the computer recognizes.

I believe that drops the voltage to the injectors...in case of any low or increased voltage from batt/alt

Maybe :D

Mounted underneath the airbox.... on the 200sx

It's for the amount of fuel as 12v to the injectors would be full open, if I remember correctly?

Found my manual...

..."protects the injectors from alternator surges and affects of other electrical components by lowering the source voltage."

Guess my memory isn't too bad....... yet :)

2.2 kilo ohms. Big difference from 2.2. :P

1 watt.. Hmm.

Okay, you can make do with something from Radioshack, but the question is why?

That resistor should be fine unless it's damaged some how. What makes you believe it needs to be replaced?

You can make a ~2.2k ohm 1 watt resistor out of the 5 pack of 2.2k 1/2 watt resistors:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062325

You're going to make a series-parallel array out of four of the resistors.

_/---2.2k------2.2k---\______

\---2.2k------2.2k---/

Solder two of the resistors end to end making a 1/2watt 4.4k resistor. It's a good idea to shorten the center leads to make the overall package smaller. Do this twice.

Now with your new 4.4k resistors, twist the lead end pairs together on each side. This will create an approximate 1watt, 2.2k ohm resistor pack.

When using same value resistors:

Soldering resistors in series (end to end) sums the resistance values of all the resistors in a series while keeping the wattage capacity the same.

Soldering resistors in parallel (side by side) sums the wattage capacity while dividing the resistance value by the number of resistors.

I don't have one and I need it to continue with a 200sx to 510 EFI project I am doing. Thanks Hardwyre!

I don't have one and I need it to continue with a 200sx to 510 EFI project I am doing. Thanks Hardwyre!

I think I made sense. :) You got what I was getting at?

With the tach, the values aren't horribly critical. Also, you'll want to probably put a couple layers of heat shrink tubing over the bundle to give it support.

2200 ohms on a 12-14 volt system is probably dropping it down around 5 volts which is what, I think, I lot of our tachs are triggered on. So ya, you don't really need the resistor right now to finish your engine, but it'll be nice for the sake of the tach.

I think I made sense. :) You got what I was getting at?

With the tach, the values aren't horribly critical. Also, you'll want to probably put a couple layers of heat shrink tubing over the bundle to give it support.

2200 ohms on a 12-14 volt system is probably dropping it down around 5 volts which is what, I think, I lot of our tachs are triggered on. So ya, you don't really need the resistor right now to finish your engine, but it'll be nice for the sake of the tach.

Gotcha, it makes sense!

Jon you have this right: http://dimequarterly.tierranet.com/dq/dq_1_1.pdf. The 200sx manual is better but this is a good quick reference.

I would have to trace back where the tach actually goes, but my first thought is that the 2.2k resistor helps protect the ECU. From the wiring diagrams I have seen, that is the input for the ECU where it measures engine speed (which may or may not have anything to do with the tach). Though I have never measured it, there very large pulses that come off the negative terminal of the coil (from what I have read over 100V). If I was designing something to interface with that, I would use something to drop the voltage to usable and safe levels for digital equipment....probably in the 5V range. Again, I have not verified the actual hookup and where everything goes, but until different information surfaces, I would NOT run your engine without sometype of 2.2k resistor there.

Although the Haynes manual says differently, the dropping resistors are typically used to match ECUs to low impedance injectors. Basically, one end of the injector is hooked up to positive, and the ECU sinks all that current to ground everytime it triggers the injectors. Because of the lower impedance of the injectors, WAY to much current is sunk through the system. I would image overheating injectors and fried ECUs.

Oh and a 2.2k 1W resistor from Radio Shack should do the trick. Like someone posted above, you can mix and match values to get the desired values. <BR><BR>It probably isn't critical in this application but there are MANY types of resistors with different properties and tolerances. Most of the time it doesn't matter, but you can get into some areas where the wrong resistor will cause problems. Since I am in the beginning stages of doing a similar upgrade, I will try to figure it out.