Battery draining

paisa13

My battery keeps draining if I leave my truck parked for more than a day! I replaced the battery and it would still drain! Talked to Datsun Dave today! Drove my truck to his house and started to work his magic! I recently upgraded to a 60amp internally regulated alternator! I did the jumper wire thing on the harness to remove the regulator! With all that said Dave tracked the problem to the heater relay in the engine bay, it stays on all the time and I guess the old voltage regulator would control the power to the relay!

Has anyone else had the same problem after upgrading alternator??

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow that was a good find on his part. That's some serious detective work. I did the jumpers to bypass my external regulator after my upgrade also. I fried one battery after that, it was to small for the new alternator. I boiled the heck out of it. Thanks for sharing this I'm sure it will help out someone with a battery mystery on there hands. You should post it to the how to section. Glad you figured it out.

It's the choke heater relay. It only allow the choke heater to be on if the alternator is producing an output voltage. (proof that the motor is turning) Here's the diagram for connecting up the IR on a external regulator car. This is how my 710 was exactly. If you follow the red positive side up the white wire to the added jumper it connects to the yellow wire going to the relay and out the black to ground.... This will energize the relay at all times. The diagram makes no sense to me but someone did explain it to me and said it works on the old 510s.

510iraltswap.jpg

My fix was to cut the yellow wire to the choke heater relay and connect to any thing switched on by the ignition, I used the idle cut solenoid. Choke heater is now only on when the key is on.

Why is the choke heater connected to the alternator??? Imagine that you start your car on a really cold day and go back indoors to finish your coffee. The motor stalls, but because the heater relay shuts off the choke does not warm up and turn off. You come out and re start the cold motor because the choke is still cold and full on.

When i did my IR swap, i only used one jumper wire (it was in the 1200 that icehouse bought). It worked fine.

And yet guys keep saying you need two jumper wires.

Maybe you need two if using a choke relay. In my swap, I connected the choke to the IGN wire (it was a manual choke originally) -- the problem being like you said, if the ignition is on without engine running the choke won't work on cold days. I never ran into that problem.

My battery keeps draining if I leave my truck parked for more than a day! I replaced the battery and it would still drain! Talked to Datsun Dave today! Drove my truck to his house and started to work his magic! I recently upgraded to a 60amp internally regulated alternator! I did the jumper wire thing on the harness to remove the regulator! With all that said Dave tracked the problem to the heater relay in the engine bay, it stays on all the time and I guess the old voltage regulator would control the power to the relay!

Has anyone else had the same problem after upgrading alternator??

its on the Dime Quarterly write up!!!!!!!!!!!

My battery keeps draining ... Has anyone else had the same problem after

Dimequarterly says to replace the stock relay with a 12V unit, though I'm not sure why except they mention it was for low voltage. But it seems to work OK at 12V. Maybe some guys had the relay burn out?

Yeah that sounds like it.

Mine is unplugged right now also! I am running a webber!

leave it unplugged.

depending on the weber you have simply stomp the peddle quickly before starting your car to activate the choke. Then when your ready to go just give the peddle a tap to deactivate the choke. :)

Who is changing the wording of my posts? Welcome to Ratsun-communism.

I wrote that the Dimequarterly article doesn't say anything about battery-drain problems. I didn't say "Yeah that sounds like it" -- I guess one of the moderators is dishonest here.

Who is changing the wording of my posts? Welcome to Ratsun-communism.

I wrote that the Dimequarterly article doesn't say anything about battery-drain problems. I didn't say "Yeah that sounds like it" -- I guess one of the moderators is dishonest here.

My apologies ggzilla That must have been me. I hit the edit instead of the reply button and did not catch it. I don't like to censor and it isn't our policy here. If something is that bad it's soft erased (to save it) with a warning to the poster. Again sorry about that, my fault..

mike