INTRODUCING my 620 build thread...

btbammer

so today Im starting the "BUILD". went out to my fathers house and checked out what I could scrounge off the 79 hl620 he has out there. basically got a ton of stuff.. and still more to get, including clean good bench seat, 5 spd tranny (hopefully it'll fit) radio delete panel.

almost took the seatbelts but the rats had been nesting ( its in the woods)

SO HERE ARE YOUR PRECIOUS PICS!

2011-07-18_16-45-20_271.jpg

CENTER CONSOLE still need to mount :( not sure how.. still needs repainted

2011-07-18_16-44-35_45.jpg

2011-07-18_16-44-28_451.jpg

intact kicker panels. need to be redone of course but they are intact!

2011-07-18_16-44-14_503.jpg

better grill with the datsun badge in good condition, no breaks. still needs paint.

2011-07-18_16-44-02_820.jpg

under glove box shelf thing... haha. good condition.

2011-07-18_16-43-53_887.jpg

SWEET ASS DATSUN RUBBER FLOOR PANELS! pretty stoked on these. they were filthy, cleaned em up with no problem.

drivers side has some tears :(

2011-07-18_16-43-45_974.jpg

2011-07-18_16-43-25_553.jpg

door panels I dont have to paint or restore! haha. lucked out and didnt break any clips.

I was seriously sweating it. cause I usually break them..

AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST THE LITTLE GEM I FOUND HIDING IN MY DADS SUBARU...

2011-07-18_20-28-14_842.jpg

oh did I mention it has the datsun adapter plate already on it?!

WERD.

so next its the rebuild kit. and removing all the uneccessary tubes and hoses and do dads that make my bay look like crap.

AND THEN its sound proofing the cab. and carpet. :D

stay tuned.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no but the easiest most convenient place. all the other cars I looked in were a bitch to get to. and were so gross inside.

can someone send me a link on how to mount the center console please? or tell me the best way to get it secure in the back?

do you know how to actualy mount the console though? or a thread leading to info on how?

my dilemma is; I figure Ill have to make brackets for both sides in the back of the console, but what happens when I put a deck in it? isnt it kinda close to the heater? will that hurt anything? and also, once I put the deck it, what do I do to support it from the bottom of the deck? its only going to have support in the front where the lip of the faceplate is. thanks.

and i am serious about sound proofing, it will be my next step after the weber is rebuilt. I figure Ill throw some rust neutralizer down. some tigers hair filler, rhinoline the whole cab and put padding and carpet down. that should suffice. but Ill definitely need help sound proofing my roof. I dont wanna mess that up. and behind the seat of course.

do you know how to actualy mount the console though? or a thread leading to info on how?

my dilemma is; I figure Ill have to make brackets for both sides in the back of the console, but what happens when I put a deck in it? isnt it kinda close to the heater? will that hurt anything? and also, once I put the deck it, what do I do to support it from the bottom of the deck? its only going to have support in the front where the lip of the faceplate is. thanks.

and i am serious about sound proofing, it will be my next step after the weber is rebuilt. I figure Ill throw some rust neutralizer down. some tigers hair filler, rhinoline the whole cab and put padding and carpet down. that should suffice. but Ill definitely need help sound proofing my roof. I dont wanna mess that up. and behind the seat of course.

We mounted a deck in my buddy's KC. It seemed to sit good without much work, and the heat has't hurt anything w/i the 2 years it been in.

ONE MORE QUESTION :

will the 5 spd tranny from the 79 HL620 mount right up to 75 PL620? (both L20Bs both single cabs)

feel free to say "absolutely, without any problems" (and mean it)

There's 2 kinds of 620 trans. short and long tail, you can measure to determine. If yours has correct driveline and trans mount for the trans going in, you're good to go. Or you can make a different trans mount work, and shorten driveline if you need to use incorrect length trans.

2011-07-21_08-15-19_493.jpg

Had this little beauty waiting for me at work this morning. What a pleasant surprise! A customer last week said he had one he would bring me. Didn't think he actually would. Wow. Now I have a 2 webers :) manual and electric. WICKED.

Had an hour to kill after work so I did this today. Pretty happy with the end result.

BEFORE:

2011-07-18_16-44-14_503.jpg

AFTER:

2011-07-21_19-39-06_841.jpg

Picked up a 6 oz can of krylon stained glass color. $9.99 @ Michaels craft store.

94¢ flat black paint @walmart

steel wool and a tack cloth

an hour later here she is.

The 5 speed from the 79 is a direct bolt in replacement for your truck. When you pull your transmission, check to see if your throwout bearing collar is the same height as the one from the 5 speed ... it should be but check anyways.

There is 2 different tranny lengths. Not sure on exact dimensions tho... Pre 74 trannys are 4speed only and are noticeably shorter. After that they made the long 4speed until the 5speed came out. All 3 will bolt up to any l series, but you run into small snags with the short 4speed. If got do get a Pre 74 tranny, you need the short section of the driveline and the shift plate. It would also be wise to get the throw out bearing too.

Im headed out tomorrow to see about the size comparison. Thanks alot guys I really appreciate the info. Hopefully it works. That would be nice.

I started restoring my dash today. Got some spray foam from jerrys and im gonna hit up he upholstery shop forgot SEM product/abs piping glue, SEM texture paint, SEM trim black. Get that sucker looking good :) still need to get the weber on.

Which one should I use? I have an electric and manual. The hitachi onright now is electric but I was just curious.