620 electronic igniton swap

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If it was a matchbox in the '77 it was swapped in. Prior to '78 only California trucks starting in '76, had the remote igniter EI dizzy. All '78 620s had the remote igniter box and '79 and the '80 720 had matchbox dizzies.

here is a drawing

Hook B at the + side of coil. Usually by BUYING a splice connector(piggy back) that will slip on at the coil.

Put motor to TDC 0 on crank then installe dist and where rotor locks down at thet will be #1 plug wire then go 1 3 4 2 Counter clock wise fire order.

the620.com has everything on there

If you want to run the stock coil and ballast hook B(of module) up to the +side of the ballast resistor C to the minus side.

coilwireing_thumb.jpg

well i tried to do the swap just now, and im pretty sure i had everything hooked up right, but it didnt work.

im not sure why it didnt.

i did get to lookin at the IE dist, and the shafts really loose in the dist and the magnetic pickups look like theyve hit in the past for the shaft bein loose.

so, back to stock again.

Niel something else to ask/consider is....did you use the 720 dist. pedestal or the one that was in the 620? There are 3 or 4 different pedestals that are dist. specific & will effect timing. Also youll need the EI coil [bigger] or if you use the stock coil keep the resistor wired in.

Niel something else to ask/consider is....did you use the 720 dist. pedestal or the one that was in the 620? There are 3 or 4 different pedestals that are dist. specific & will effect timing. Also youll need the EI coil [bigger] or if you use the stock coil keep the resistor wired in.

actually no i didnt use the pedestal from the 720. i had already to the motor to scrap before i tried the swap.

what i did thougth, is i flipped the pedestal around so that the vacuum advance didnt hit the thermostat housing. im not sure if this would effect the timing or not. even if it did, it should have atleast popped off when i tried to start it. backfire or something. i dont think i was gettin spark.

farmer

if you swap the dizzy off 180 degs I assume you moved the wires as the rorot will still point in the same direction when it locks down and go 1 3 4 2 counter clock wise fire order

I would think whoever sold the matchbox would say it was good.

the620.com is good site to search for info.

if in dought line motor up to TDC 0 on cranks

spindal should look like this.the famous 11.28 position then install the dizzy and where the rotor points you will assign that as #1 plug wire. then go 1 3 4 2 counter clock wise. also make sure the the prongs LINE up whe its point at the #1 plugwire/cap contack.

There is one model pedastal that will point the rorot between 1&3 plug wire so make sure that is NOT the case.

also if using the POINT coil keep the ballast in there and wire the dizzy contack B to the + side of the ballast

if you have a MSD coil or the later 200sx,720 coil wire per this drawing

contack B and the power wire that went to the Ballast usually a blk/wht wire to the +side of the coil.

HPIM0236_thumb.JPG

coilwireing_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

So I guess to be safe can I use a Z coil that has a dizzy? I Think my old accel coil is leaking... I must of done a bad job....

EDIT: Now that I think about it.... My Old Mustang has an accel coil that I installed but it had no resistor... They were the same type.... But in the Datsun, I still used the resisitor..... I guess that why I messed it up.... Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
damn that coil is huge. i need to get me one of those. are all the matchbox dizzy coils that big?

Im not sure if they're all the same size but they all should have the white writing on the bottom that says "for use with electronic ignition" Ive seen EI on a 310, 610, Z cars, & the late model 620's.