L Series acting funny / wont idle

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OIC. Like HRH says, either the float is sunk and/or the needle and seat is failing. You are not running a high pressure electric fuel pump are you? If not, remove the carb top and adjust the float level. And inspect the float to see if there is fuel inside it if there is throw it away.

OIC. Like HRH says, either the float is sunk and/or the needle and seat is failing. You are not running a high pressure electric fuel pump are you? If not, remove the carb top and adjust the float level. And inspect the float to see if there is fuel inside it if there is throw it away.

I just did a full rebuilt on the carb and the floats were in shape.

I have a spare floats and needles and seats if you need them. Let me know and I can bring them to work if need be.

The needle and seat is operated by the float correct? if so that was replaced when doing the rebuilt. I do need a new top for the carb if you've got an extra one of those sitting around, I had to repair a piece of mine with JB Weld.

Thanks

Don't have any top plates. Sold the last 32/36 with the 720 some years back. Only SUs and efi since then. Check craigslist, sometimes you might get lucky in pull and save too.

A return line would help here. It would slightly reduce the line pressure from the pump. Webers, tired old ones that is, are very sensitive to fuel pressure over 3 PSI and will food.

Where would I hook up the return line on the carb?

You don't need to hook up a return line from the carb.

Do you have an electric fuel pump?

* No - don't worry about it

* Yes - is it under 4 psi? -- don't worry about it.

If you have more than 4 psi, connect the return line (which is on every 620) to the fuel line before it enters the carburetor.

run some compressed air on the fuel line before fule filter and open the gas tank...about 3 mos. ago my 510 was doing something similar and ran some air through the fuel line, nothing...then I took out my gas tank and guess what, silicon looking snake plugged the pick up tube in the gas tank. Try the compressed air first, it that does not work, you may have to take out the tank. When you gassed up, was it empty? maybe old dirt/gunk got mixed with new fuel or something is stuck in the pick up tube...good luck and let us know what happened.

Thanks for the advice. I actually figured out the original problem. My carb adapter plate had loosened up from vibrations and was sucking air in below the carb. Took the bolts out and coated them with thread locker, reinstalled and it was good to go.

Now the only problem I have is after I drive it for awhile and then park the fuel will "boil" out of the float bowl into the intake.