Stuck in 4th, now what?

exit64

I just met up with Skib and Alicia a few minutes ago here in Hood River. They pulled into the parking lot at Safeway and the Roadster is stuck in 4th gear. The clutch is working fine as I can engage it and start the car. I tried to bump it out, yank hard, a few different combinations of cuss words, nothing. Any ideas? They continued on their journey and now the 70 is back in the garage next to the 69 2000. Maybe she was just home sick. I need to sort this out ASAP as Skib is selling his 620 this weekend and the 1600 is their only car after that. Let's hear some ideas from the tranny experts.

Thanks,

Mike

aka exit64

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch!

Does that 4 speed have the removable bottom plate on it? Like the 510 4 speed???

If so, try draining the oil and removing the pan. You may be able to reach up the pass side and push the fork closest to the front to the rear and get it out of forth.

Mike,

It does have the removable plate. I am going to open it up at some point today and see what goes. Skib said it made zero funny noises and was shifting perfectly up until this happened. I had this car for 6 years and it never missed a beat. Worst case scenario I can have another 70 tranny here by next weekend and then do a "Canby style" swap party over at the garage, so don't plan anything for next weekend. :cool:

Pretty much the same guts, with the starter on the other side. That is exactly how it is described in "The Roadster Book". I think I am just going to swap it out next week unless it is totally obvious when I pull the inspection cover.

Check the oil level first. A dry tranny will seize and this could be what happened. I also had an F4W63 (521) seize in forth with no reason. I never checked the oil but it was quiet and I had been on the highway and went to downshift.

From my experiance it is likely the coupling ring has moved to far when engaging 4th gear and the centering rockers in the hub that the coupling ring rides on have popped up behind the coupling ring keeping it from disengaging 4th gear.

The coupler rides on a grooved hub. When 3rd or 4th is not engaged the coupling ring is cerntered over the hub. The centering rockers keep the coupling ring in that neutral position when 3rd or 4th are not engaged. When you engage 4th the coupling ring is pushed off center of the hub by the shift fork, over the syncro ring and engages the teeth on 4th gear. The coupling ring engages the hub thru its grooves to the teeth on the gear to engage the gear.

The fix is new parts. The alternate is to place stops that keep the fork from pushing the coupling ring too far. This is only a stop gap measure as the wear is still present and should all the "slop" stack in one direction, the coupling ring can still over travel and lock into gear.

I've had more than one 63 series gearbox do this and no amount of pulling on the shift lever will dissengage the coupler.

I'd be interested in that. As stated mine stayed in 4th out on the highway, no warning, no sounds, nothing to make me wonder if I did anything wrong with it. This was like over 30 years ago and I may not have maintained my 'stuff' as well as I should have. :o

Alrighty then, it's now out of 4th gear. Found the problem. One of the half teeth that the block goes through is missing and the block slipped over to the side a bit. Gave it a poke with my pocket knife and now shifts smooth as butter again. Who knows where the rest of that gear tooth went as it is not in the pan or stuck to the magnet. The rest of the gears and synchros are in perfect condition. I am going to make a pan gasket tomorrow morning and see what happens.

Guest kamakazi620

Well if you scrap A LOT of them save mike one for parts. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Trade for Dogleg????????? :blink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :o :lol: :lol: :o :lol: :lol: :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

sounds like someone got this figured out my 79 620 did the same thing today but i am stuck in 3rd can anyone help me

heres what happened.

theres this block and 2 half teeth.

and they should look like this.

0806111551a.jpg

heres the 4th gear block on mine.

0806111551.jpg

everything shifts perfect, rest of the trans is suuuuuper clean.

but that one missing half tooth keeps it in 4th

heres what happened.

theres this block and 2 half teeth.

and they should look like this.

0806111551a.jpg

heres the 4th gear block on mine.

0806111551.jpg

everything shifts perfect, rest of the trans is suuuuuper clean.

but that one missing half tooth keeps it in 4th

ok thanks do i have to drop the tranny to get to the space to check this ?