200sx 5speed for 510

Hello all,

I have been out of the game for many years but have just bought another 510, It has no motor, trans or drive line. I am looking for a 5speed and if i remember correct the 200sx dog legs fot right in. I just can not remember what years. Any help would be great.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'77 200SX too. Also the 510s from the late '70s sometimes had a dogleg (short tail) 5-speed. But be wary of '80 and later 200SX or 510 with the Z20 engine, rather than L20b. They came with a dogleg, but the Z20 sat at a different angle in the engine bay, so the trans bellhousing for them has a different tilt. The Z20 trans will bolt up to an L20, but the shifter and rear mount will be crooked.

Len

Good one Len.

Through '79 only the 2 door Hatch Back had the dogleg as an option. From '80 on only Z20S motors were used in the states and those doglegs won't work. The L20B was still used in '80 up in Canada but the 5 speed wasn't an option.

datzenmike - The dogleg I stuck in my '72 510 came from a late '70s 510, rather than a 200SX. I don't remember which body, but pretty sure it was a two door, so probably a hatch. Did you have a pic you posted of the front view of the "right" L20b trans sitting beside the "wrong" Z20 version? Maybe I'm imagining seeing such a pic.

Len

'77 200SX too. Also the 510s from the late '70s sometimes had a dogleg (short tail) 5-speed. But be wary of '80 and later 200SX or 510 with the Z20 engine, rather than L20b. They came with a dogleg, but the Z20 sat at a different angle in the engine bay, so the trans bellhousing for them has a different tilt. The Z20 trans will bolt up to an L20, but the shifter and rear mount will be crooked.

Len

The Z trannie works with the L engine....but....

Not good.

Trannie mount has to be shimmed 12 degrees, shifter has to be bent, pinion angle is compromised, tunnel has to be cut out, vehicle has to be raised to fill with fluid....etc...etc.

Other than that....good to go.... :rolleyes: :D

I just found another 'L trannie'.....the NFG Z is getting yanked tomorrow.

PC220012.jpg

PC250013.jpg

Len...I can post a pic of the bell housings if Mike doesn't have one....but....pretty sure he has.

I just mounted an L bell on a Z trannie

datzenmike - The dogleg I stuck in my '72 510 came from a late '70s 510, rather than a 200SX. I don't remember which body, but pretty sure it was a two door, so probably a hatch. Did you have a pic you posted of the front view of the "right" L20b trans sitting beside the "wrong" Z20 version? Maybe I'm imagining seeing such a pic.

Len

I have the 71B L and Z bells to show the different 'tilt' but not the doglegs side by side.. here:

L Series

LansZtrannybell002Large-2.jpg

Z Series

LansZtrannybell003Large-1.jpg

L Series Dogleg

doglegLseriesLarge.jpg

Z Series Dogleg

transNAPSdoglegmaybe80-81hl510two.jpg

Thanks Len, I forgot I had one so the L series picture is about 3 minutes old.

Thank you Doug. Did not know you 'perfected' that swap. :lol: I'm keeping those pictures if you don't mind. :)

Thanks both for posting the pics. So it looks like with the trans in install position (shifter straight up), the L-series bell has two upper bolt holes almost level with each other. The Z-series has one top hole by itself. Does that sound like a simple-minded (only way that works for me) way to remember?

Len

Thanks both for posting the pics. So it looks like with the trans in install position (shifter straight up), the L-series bell has two upper bolt holes almost level with each other. The Z-series has one top hole by itself. Does that sound like a simple-minded (only way that works for me) way to remember?

Len

Better yet..... :)

Look at the starter position.....9(L)and 10(Z) o'clock

Len

Look along the top center line of both, there is a casting seam that goes all the way up the bellhousing. On the L trannys there is a bolt hole about an inch over to the left side. On the Z trannys there is a bolt hole about an inch over to the right side. I just use the simple phrase "bolt hole on Left is L"...... too easy.

Remember that the transmission mount/crossmember needs to be lowered about 1" from where the stock 510 4 speed is when using a dogleg 5 speed transmission. You need to do this to keep proper driveshaft alignment othewise it will vibrate.

Experiment Engineering sells a crossmember that uses a 240Z tranny mount. They are $75 + $15 S&H within the lower 48. These are great pieces, powder coated finish and it bolts right in. I have a second one on order.

Contact Dave Carroll dave@vg30.com

159ee_5spd_crossmember.JPG

I'm super cheap, so I dropped my cross member with steel tubing spacers, using the idea in a DQ article. It cost more than I expected by the time I bought the steel, studs, nuts, etc. But mostly it took a whole lot of TIME. If I were to do it over, I'd buy the EE cross member, and use the saved time to do a bunch of other need work on the car.

I believe the EE unit gives more clearance for exhaust pipe, if you are thinking of going larger exhaust.

Len