72' 510

Saw some RSX seats for sale in the area and picked them up.

They are really comfortable! No tears in the leather!

Next to my original seat

seatssidebyside.JPG

I removed the extra brackets to make the rails smooth.

Bolted the passenger side up.

rsxpassenger.jpg

Ummmm yeah I am 6'1" ..... It is a little too tall...

rsxseatme.jpg

The original seat however is quite low........

originalseat.jpg

Suggestions?

Cut the car front mount to lower the front of the seat?

Find different seats?

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Much easier to raise than lower.... :D

But the question is why change them? Uncomfortable, wanted leather? I have to say the cloth looks better with whats going on inside. :unsure:

But comfort is important....my wife's car is all black inside with dark blue seats. I want to change them, but they are comfy.:P

In the " how to " section 510freak installed PT cruiser seats and they seem to fit pretty good for me ,, having forced him to let us sit in his car . Although im wider than i am tall..laugh.gif The fact they are pretty new makes them less squished down but actual height is about the same as stock. and very easy install so if they dont work for ya all you have is 2 extra holes,, thats all.

I would first check the stock RSX rails to see if they can be modified or if they are what is causing the seat to be tall. If you are stuck with the stock rails and "bolting" them to the floor is still too tall, then sell them off. There is too much work involved to make them work.

However, if there is room by chance, then go with what's comfortable. The stock seats in my Colt GT are pretty low allowing me to fit my 6'10" into a JDM compact. However, I put some MX5 seats in there, and I have TONS of head room and can move the seat far enough back that I I can't reach the pedals! These seats are super low. I used the stock rails, and made a little bracket to fit into the stock mounting studs/bolt holes.

My point, go with what works for you without having to reengineer the whole thing. If the seats don't work, don't force them. You'll find something that works.

Here ya go.... Ill upload some of the 72' later showing my progress...

Sold my blue 71' 510. I am kind of sad about selling it still......

bluepassside.jpg

Thats cool! i really like that color. I think it was better looking in person. The camera didnt capture the shade of blue that i remember it being. I saw it on craigslist a little bit ago though. The green one it pretty sweet too

• 3 weeks later...

Why is it that something so simple can get so complex very quickly?

The transmission was leaking clutch fluid on Friday so I decided to take to a local shop and have them replace the tube that was leaking really easy fix right? ( my car is really low and I don't have a way to jack it up right now)

So they had to order the part I call Monday morning they say the part will be in at 1 and that they will call me back.

After no call back on Monday I call up on Tuesday to find out they had lost my the clipboard with my info on it and were not able to call....... And they are sad to inform me that the have damaged my paint.......

moderndaves510-damage.jpg

They are going to make it right and pay for the damage they told me to go to a local shop and get a quote.... $1200! ( they shop they wanted me to go to is where I would have taken it for a quote anyway they do great work)

So now I am waiting for a phone call back from them soI can schedule a time to get my car fixed up......