new datsun

lil89ram50

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well, im soon to be the proud owner of a single sidedraft dcoe 46 weber and cannon intake. and a brown racing cam and sitffer valve springs. and a brand new nos set of king pins!

got a new battery for it yesterday, and aso going to replace the front sway bar bushings and links woth polly when i put the king pins in! :) then thinking about putting it in an auto cross event held here during the big car show :) for shits and giggles

well here is the carb and manifold i have purchased tonight. got it from a guy here on the forum. hoping to recieve it by saturday. then install it this weekend, along with the cam if i can buy it by then. waiting for guy to give pay pal info on cam. then it wil be plenty of power for me i think. its just to damn boring even with the l20b. maybe this will wake it up a tad..... just paid for cam. :thumbup:

575549_3551309614407_1022627806_3246708_1403148612_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

so i have been driving it all over for the whole day today, and love the power, just not the worn clutch. and it revs up pretty good, but stays reved high for a little bit after i let off the gas. like the throttle is sticky. but it is not. i have a real heavy spring on it.. i can rev it up by hand at the carb, and it goes all the way to idle instantly after i let it go, and the motor just keeps high for a bit. also it seems to bog down just a tad when going from a stop, sometimes have to double tap the gas. anyone good at tuning these 45dcoe's? i did what i have heard online. but i think i may have the wrong jets.

so i have been driving it all over for the whole day today, and love the power, just not the worn clutch. and it revs up pretty good, but stays reved high for a little bit after i let off the gas. like the throttle is sticky. but it is not. i have a real heavy spring on it.. i can rev it up by hand at the carb, and it goes all the way to idle instantly after i let it go, and the motor just keeps high for a bit. also it seems to bog down just a tad when going from a stop, sometimes have to double tap the gas. anyone good at tuning these 45dcoe's? i did what i have heard online. but i think i may have the wrong jets.

The hotter the cam, the more you have to keep the rpms UP when starting out, that is the drawback to hot cams, and if they are hot enough, there really hard to drive on the street, as they have no torque.

So basicly, a really hot cam is worthless below 3 to 4000rpms, but above 4000rpms they scream.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

well i figured my timing cover situation out! my oil slinger was on backwards.

you might not know, i put a cam in, and installed stiffer springs and after market retainers. A couple of the retainers were a different brand, and i didnt notice. wel i couldnt get my valve lash correct on a few of the valves, due to wrong retainers and lash pads.

so i swapped back to stock retainers, with stiffer, taller springs. upon this, tensioner popped out since wedge slipped. Deciced to put a new chain and guides in, got it all back together and could not for the life of me get the oil pump drive to go all the way back in. about a 1/2 inch away. so i took the cover back off, and checked everything over. couldnt find anything wrong. it finally clicked, remove the oil slinger and try again. fits perfect. im going to leave it out as its bent anyways. cant really do a whole lot anyways.

so, if your oil pump drive will not go in al the way, check your oil slinger!!! its been apart for 2 weeks cuz i thought my cover had warped. didnt think this was plausible anyways. glad i didnt buy a new one yet!!!

should be rippin up this shit hole town later!!!! might notch my frame, or lincoln lock my differential till i can find an lsd pumpkin in another junkyard truck. possibly find some lugnuts for these 10" wide 15's i got too.

gottsa get it running first.

i shaved a stock l20b flywheel today. it started life out as a 21lb heifer, and is now a 14.5lb super model. lol it was super easy to do on a brake lathe. took about 2.5 hours to machine it down. and about 3 hours to install it. imho, much better than forking out over 300 bux for an aluminum wheel for just the average driver. i will still probably get a 10lb fidanza, but now that is at the bottom of my list, as this will satisfy me, and i have more priorities now. like finish my exhaust, and find a bitchen new steering wheel, and zg fender flares to cover these 15x10's :)

guys!!! i have some really good news!

and some very bad news

we'll start with good.

this l20b i just put new timing chain, tensioners, aftermarkrt cam, springs and retainers in. i finally got the ignition figured out tonight!!! it runs! runs real good!!!! ran it for about 3 minutes tonight!!!!!

bad news... the reason i only ran it 3 minutes.....

i had a bad wire somewhere by the alt. well it shorted out. found a small fuel leak. whole engine compartment caught fire. all wiring paint, everything is gone.

i dont know if i want to fix it or not now. but i know i have to get it going! its my baby, me, my wife, and my son all love this truck! everyone in this town loves this little thing!

just upsetting as i just about had it going again!

This truck never gives me a break!!!!

if some one feels like donating parts. id be more than welcome to acccept them, and make damn sure they get put to work.

parts i know i need.

521 wiring harness.

manual fuel pump

paint, lots of paint and sand paper (lol jk)

So what is the extent of the damage, was it a small or big fire?

Did the inside of the cab catch fire too, did it get ruined also?

Did the carb survive? Radiator? Engine? Windshield?

This sucks big time. :(

not sure the exact extent. i gotr dask by the time it got put out. fuel kept gripping on the fire. keeping it going.

no, cab is fine. just up inj the front corner behind the headlights. where the fuel lines route through the engine bay. carb is fine. didnt have the radiator in it. havent looked at the windshield today. its at my parents house. where i work on it as they have a garage i keep all my tools and welder. so i have it there when getting worked on. engine should be fine also.

its probably not as bad as it sounds, ori think it was. just seemed really bad cuz the flames were as tall as the garage. (30 ft). cuz the fuel. hopefullyy just a new fuel pump, and a complete harness. possibly some headlights and relays. just another set back with this thing., its verry annoying.

this truck will be the death of me, i know it.