is it just me or do 12 coupe seats hurt your tail bone

DISLEXICDIME

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, that's how coupe seats are, they have very little padding. The sedan seats fit, and are more couch-like. I like the coupe seats because they look sporty.

You can remove the factory seat covers and insert foam padding. It will make a huge difference.

Or swap other seats in. A ton of different seats fit, just need to make simple brackets:

5186.jpg

I put the buckets from my '68 into my 521 'back in the day' and they were murder on my spine. Driving was ...... ok, but bouncing around your tail bone would contact what I thought was a horizontal 'pipe' or brace across the lower back of the seat. My '74 and '76 710 don't seem to have that problem but they have negative lumbar support in them. One has 25K and the other 45K miles so use may not be a factor. I think they were made for Asian butts and not a lot of thought was directed towards long term comfort for large N American asses.

• Like 1

1200 coupe seats when new have exactly the same problem. They hurt your tail bone on long drives and reviewers commented on it when new. So rebuilding them won't help, although adding more padding will! I think it is OK and not a defect, as they are lightweight and for short drives are nice seats, with a little bit of sports contour (a lot for the early 70s).

The seats in mine were wasted when I got it. I just put in a spare set of 240z seats instead. They're lower so you feel more like you're in the car instead of on the car. Not a direct bolt-in but still really easy. I don't remember the stockers in my other 1200s being that bad but it was along time ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the props Mike! The seats have foam and or moulded, glued horse hair and all that rots----then you are riding on the metal bars and springs. More padding is needed and I can custom make your seat to your butt..............pun intended! I do give Ratsun discounts and sometimes work trades. Call or pm me. 503-740-7456

Horse hair that it! Yeah I put zx seats in my '76 710 goon and took the vinyl off the driver's seat that was in it. My 74 seats have neg lumbar support so I lifted the white vinyl up and it has molded 'horse hair' the goon ghas molded foam. I cut some of the foam and slid it into the '74 seat to form a supporting bulge that helps. Still haven't perfected it yet.

Both seats have a steel tube that does go across the back of the seat about where your tail bone is or just above. There is either horse hair or foam and some burlap fabrick and some wavy latteral springs for 'support'. I'll take a picture to-night.