200 SX

lg2

I finally wandered out and looked at my 510, and removed auto tranny. The wires aren't as I remembered. I thought there was a four-wire plug on the passenger's side of the trans, but no, it is four individual wires, each with a bullet connector (two male, two female). I didn't make any jumper wire, I just plugged together a male and female of wires coming from the harness. The color wires I paired on my '72 are red with a black stripe and blue (maybe with a black stripe). But your car may or may not use the same color code. On the driver's side of the auto are two more wires that may be the reverse light switch. I looked under my 510, but without jacking it up, I can't see where the reverse switch is located. I thought I had my 510 reverse lights working after the swap, but could be another false memory. I've got the battery out of so I can't check.

As far as getting the trans onto the back of the engine, I don't think I've ever had one just slip together. Most of the ones I've done have been at the farm where I work, with two of us doing it with a floor jack, and it still takes 20 minutes or so of trying and swearing, then all of a sudden, it just slips in! Be sure to have a bolt and nut handy so it can't slip back out.

On the TO bearing sleeve, the safe thing is to measure what you have. Looking at the chart on that link I posted, I'm thinking the length of the sleeve you have in your SX dogleg trans is 48.5mm. There are 25.4mm in an inch, so 48.5 is just under two inches length. I believe the TO bearing sticks beyond the front of the sleeve a little, so watch that when you measure. The other possible sleeve is 38.5mm, almost 1/2" shorter, so you should be able to tell which length you have. If you have the 48.5mm sleeve, then the distance from the "fingers" on the clutch pressure plate to the face of the plate needs to be 31 to 33mm. If the clutch measures 43 to 45mm, then it isn't right for your sleeve. And your clutch won't work, and you won't be happy. And if anyone reading this sees I'm giving the wrong measurements, PLEASE correct me. I may not be reading the chart as well as I think I am. I figured out a combo that worked when I did my swap, but dumb luck may have been as important as my careful planning and measuring.

I don't see anything wrong with used TO bearing or clutch parts as long as there looks to be some life left in them, if money is tight. So long as you know you may be yanking the trans sooner to replace something. If you are using your old pilot bushing, poke a little bit of grease in the hole. Not too much, or it seep out onto the clutch disc and give you a jumpy clutch.

I have no idea on steering wheels. I sometimes see an aftermarket "racer" wheel at a yard sale, but knowing I'd have to figure out an adapter for Datsun always scares me away. I think maybe Zs used a different size hub, so the wheel you have may not be usable, at least not without a lot of work.

Len

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Len I believe the neutral safety switch cuts the start signal to the starter and not the coil. You would still need a jumper or join both wires. Just sayin'.

datzenmike - Thank you for the clarification. That makes sense. Killing power to the coil would keep the engine from starting, but if the starter was still powered in the Start position, the car could jump ahead and scare the hapless driver. Either another false memory on my part, or something I never thought about carefully.

Does my analysis of the TO bearing sleeve length and pressure plate height sound right? I'd really hate to have lg2 do a bunch of screwin around changing sleeves based on misinformation from me. But if he sticks it together with the wrong sleeve/clutch combo, it will no doubt ruin his day.

Len

I was talking with someone they said maybe try to flip the clutch disc? I have the little lip sticking out toward the tranny. Any ideas?

I took a quick look at the one stray disc I found roaming around in my parts. It has the spring housing all on one side of the disc, and I strongly suspect that side goes toward the tranny, away from the flywheel. I'm not sure the pressure plate would even bolt down correctly if this disc were installed backward. But I'm not 100% sure on this one. I'll try and find a pic in a book tonight when I get home. The way you have your disc, does the face of the disc even touch the flywheel? I'm thinking the spring housing would hit the flywheel before the face of the disc if installed backward. Maybe I'm not understanding which way you have yours in, or maybe your disc is different than mine.

Len

The springs hitting makes more since why not to do that lol. I think I'm going to stop being cheap and just get a clutch kit... It's $80. I just got the clutch disc for $25. Because there was not a lot of scaring on it..

lg2

H5.. Im still a rookie lol ;)... I'm replying via cell phone. I'm a broke college students don't get Internet during the summer unless I go to panera bread..

lg2

Nothing wrong with being a rookie to all this. Back a million years ago when I first started screwin around with cars, all I had was crappy Chilton manuals. No such things as internet forums where you could ask questions without getting laughed at (not too much anyway). I'd talk to local mechanics about foreign cars, and they would tell me to quit wasting my time on that imported junk, and buy a Ford or Chevy. Considering how little I knew about working on cars, that probably was good advice. But I had sports car fever, and took every word in "Road & Track" as gospel.

When you get to the internet next time, look at this thread: http://community.ratsun.net/index.php?showtopic=2345 go to post #15, second pic is a 200SX dogleg tranny. Note the smooth bellhousing without ribs cast in. The overall length should be the same as your 510 auto. I just want to be sure which tranny you have.

If that is the trans you have, and you do buy a clutch kit (not sure you need to buy one if money is really tight for you, but it isn't a bad idea either), get one for a '77-'79 200SX. Then the pressure plate should be the right height for the TO bearing sleeve you have. But wait a minute. Do you know what car this tranny was in last? If someone had it in a 510 with a 510 clutch they may have swapped a different sleeve in there, and you will need a 510 clutch kit. Unless you know for sure what car it was in, you will need to measure the length of the TO bearing sleeve.

Last important question - Are there 5 bolts holding your flywheel to the crankshaft?

Len

• Like 1

Good looking out Len on having my back lol :)... H5 in his prime ;)... Len what's your email I'll send you pictures until I figure out this picture stuff on here. See they should allow me to upload from my phone. Maybe you can upload for me so H5 can see & along with others. He probably does not believe I have one. Jokin w/ ya H5.. I'm a slimer green goon. Len I got my tranny online sent to me ups. It's a 78 200sx.. It had a funny circle wire on it instead of our square wiring. So I'd assume it was not being used in a 510 unless it was not a Lmotor. Which I can't see why one would use a 200sx when most ppl use 280z tranny for beefed up 510. Can a 200sx handle turbos and charger stuff?

Also can u measure the distance from your heater to shifter that way I do not have to put the tranny in twice lol. I've started cutting but I do not want to over cut. You know? Yes, the flywheel has 5 bolts and it's heavier plus thicker than the flex plate. Also Len the auto shop around here do not have 200sx clutches. So it will have to be a 510 clutch.

lg2

H5.. Im still a rookie lol ;)... I'm replying via cell phone. I'm a broke college students don't get Internet during the summer unless I go to panera bread..

lg2

We just like pictures....:D and what is "panera bread..":P sounds yummy!

I just PM'd my email address, if you want to send pics. To post any pics on Ratsun, they must be located on a hosting service like Flickr or Photobucket. Sending directly to Ratsun won't work. Pretty easy to set up a free account with a host, but I imagine you need to do it from a computer, not a phone. Might be time to find a GF with internet, at least for the summer!

Tranny sent UPS? Yikes, what did that cost? I probably don't want to know. Makes me grateful to live in a part of the country with lots of dead Datsuns. Pull n Save in Spokane is kinda screwing things up though. They will pay $270 now for complete cars. So I imagine a lot more of the dead Datsuns in E WA will end up there, and then crushed.

If the seller said the tranny came out of an SX, you can probably take a chance on it having the original TO sleeve, and get an SX clutch kit. If it ends up being the wrong combo, it shouldn't hurt anything, just the clutch won't work right, and you will have to yank the trans again.

One thing about the dogleg SX, they aren't supposed to be as strong as the Z or truck 5-speeds. I don't think you have to baby them or anything, but if you get too wild with speed shifting, you might be sorry. If you ever get to the point of a much hotter engine, then you can think about a Z box, and the extra $100 or so to have the driveline shortened.

I'll measure that distance later today and post. When I did mine, when I got the tranny in, but before I bolted the X-member up, I measured and cut the hole, with a rag over the back of the trans to keep the metal shavings off.

5 bolt flywheel confirms you have an L16 or L18, with a 200mm clutch. That is what I wanted to know.

Len

We just like pictures....:D and what is "panera bread..":P sounds yummy!

Oh yeah.. It is bread resturant. They sell sandwiches, soups, and etc. I'm sure they are out there on the west side :).. I love pictures too it's just my car is under the weather... Plus I'm not use to the picture upload on here. Len said he's going to hook it up on the pictures but even with that it's just a few. I need to take more picture though.. Hit panerabread.com.. I maybe spelling it wrong.

lg2

lg2 - The pic came through just fine to my email. Nice stock looking goon. When I get home from work, I'll try to move it to Flickr or somewhere I can post it for you, so everyone can see.

Len

Can you put all those previous steps in order.. The hole size would be nice.. All the way up to putting in the driveshaft lol.. If it's not too much to ask for :).. Thanks for considering. Oh and the tranny is rare around here lol $200.00 included shipping.. I'd find more 280z then 510's on this side of the world.

lg2

Thanks Len

Can a 200sx handle turbos and charger stuff?

lg2

The FS5W63A dogleg is a nice strong 5 speed tranny for an L16, even an L18. An L20B is pushing it but adequate when used in a light car. The dogleg isn't 'weak' but you can use it with a motor that has been 'hopped up' and exceede it's capabilities. If rebuilt or in great shape and if regularly maintained and not ignored or abused, they will last a long time. No it wouldn't be wise to use it with a forced induction motor.

The number 63 is the distance in mm between the main and counter shafts inside it and derermines the maximum diameter (and size and strength) of the gears and bearings you can use. An FS5W71B has space for much larger bearings and stronger gears for example.

Here is another picture of my friends x-member.

utf-8BSU1BRzA5MTUuanBn.jpg5883113806_19b7691858_z.jpgThat thing is clean..!!! :unsure:

I love that color....:D

Yeah I love the color 2! H5 it's unique I don't see much of anything that color. Did u check out panera breads? Also can I have some dimension of that x-member. That looks good.

These are the "sleeve" for the throwout bearing (TO bearing), there are different sizes, but should not prevent you from bolting up the transmission

15140.jpg

If you use the wrong size, it won't adjust correctly.

Wow, Ggzilla that's a big difference. Where are these from?

lg2

utf-8BSU1BRzA5MTUuanBn.jpg

Yours may turn out a little different.....he has a 81-83 280z 5spd. using a cut 4spd x-member. And I'm not sure what your x-member looks like, thats why we like PICTURES...:P

The drop on this one is about 2 inches..... Are you doing the welding or taking it somewhere..?