DIY custom 280Z bumpers idea.

So the Z has the traditional "park bench" style bumpers that Uncle Sam forced upon the automotive community circa mid-70's. At the moment, she only has the rear bumper since the front was stolen from the paint shop.

Finding a set of the thinner 240/260 bumpers is an expensive exercise in near-futility, so I've had an idea rattling around in my head; make my own!

The idea I have is something similar to the first gen Camaro bumpers, like so:

Front:

67_cam_front_bump.jpg

Rear:

1968Coupe.jpg

My idea was to use something like a 4" pipe with a wall thickness of either a 1/8th inch (~8ga) or 1/16th inch (~14ga) and have it pressed down to about two inches tall, so its overall cross sectional shape is an ellipse/oval. Cutting it down the flat center would leave me two lengths of deep u-channel steel. From there it would be a matter of either manipulating the metal or cutting/welding it to get the sides and the rounded tips.

The other idea would be to use a set of 1967-68 Camaro bumpers themselves and cut them to size, then make custom brackets for them.

The Camaro is 72.5 inches wide while the Z is 64.2 inches wide.

Anyone have some old beat up Camaro bumpers I can experiment with? Input? Opinions? Shit talking?

The reason is because I want SOME kind of protection from either my own, or (more likely) other people's stupidity. Right now, without the front bumper, some nitwit chick in a Civic will crush my hood if she's not paying attention while parking.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i like other car parts working on datsuns :D

My car is currently powered by Ford, Cadillac, Volvo, BMW, Volkswagen, and Home Depot in addition to Datsun/Nissan. biggrin.gif

Here are 2nd gen Camaro bumpers on Datsun 1200:

oic-snipped

Hmm. I might have to explore the possibility of an open grill face on the front. smile.gif

Love the 1200 with the bumperettes. I grabbed some bumperettes years ago, thinking of fitting them to S30 cars...I think some are from Fiat 850's. Must dig them up.

Re the park bench situation, I fit Fiat X-19 squared aluminum bumpers (same width) both front and rear to 280Z; replaced massive chrome plated steel Nissan 5mph anchors and tucked them in by 1" or so in the process.

DAW

• 6 months later...

I like the gen 1 idea ... trim to fit best ... nice

Materials are very expensive Atm ... at least at metal places i go to :blink: ... besides $30 in grinding and cutoff wheels lol

If ... only if ... camaro shares distinctive. Mutual curve ... in which the datsun bumpers do ... you have a fighting chance .... find the center ... make brackets ... measure .... slit and tuck .... check ... trim ... check .... measure .... fir hours lolz :D

If not ... it will be a lot if modification ... to an existing bumper ... that may never look right

I also respect your start from scratch idea ... i would recommend an acetelyne torch or at least lots and lots of map gas lol .... 1/8" wall seem to damn thick .... 1/16" is fairly beefy enough .... and tons easier to work with lol....

• Like 1

Always in April swap Portland swap meet...We stay at the racetrack mostly because stuff is cheaper there ,,but you should be able to find a $50. or less first gen bumper if you look hard enough..

OR the right bumper if your really lucky and look in every booth.............We do

http://www.portlandswapmeet.com/

http://www.portlandr...ayout=item&id=4

• 6 months later...

hey OP did you ever figure anything out on this? i spent the better part of my day today welding and measuring and marking metal for a tubular front bumper for my 710 i can post pics tomorrow if you are interested