H190 LSD questions...

So My H190 housing that I have has the large spline 10 bolt axles and both of my chunks have big spline axles...

I have this Precision gear LSD that I wheel'd and deal'd for, but it is for the small 8 bolt H190 axles(so i was told by an old time racer....) :-/

Can I just swap out the side gears from the small spline axles in the LSD to side gears from a standard large spline differential?

2011-06-20%25252019.53.37.jpg

I'm a little frustrated here I guess...

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, you can't swap the side gears. The side gears in the LSD are an integral part of the operation of the LSD and are vastly different than the open diff side gears. They have considerably more material off the backs that engage the clutch packs.

That is what I was thinking... I wanted to find out before I started opening up the differential...

So My H190 housing that I have has the large spline 10 bolt axles and both of my chunks have big spline axles...

I have this Precision gear LSD that I wheel'd and deal'd for, but it is for the small 8 bolt H190 axles.... :-/

Can I just swap out the side gears from the small spline axles in the LSD to side gears from a standard large spline differential?

2011-06-20%25252019.53.37.jpg

The 8 and 10 bolt thing is confusing me. The H-190s differed in the side gear/axle spline count. Trucks/810 Maxima goon and late S110s were 29 spline and 510 goons and Roadsters were 21 spline. As stated an LSD is pretty much stuck being what it is and the 'side gears' can't be swapped.

Sounds like you have something that will fit a Roadster or 510 goon and would be worth a lot.

The 8 and 10 bolt thing is confusing me. The H-190s differed in the side gear/axle spline count. Trucks/810 Maxima goon and late S110s were 29 spline and 510 goons and Roadsters were 21 spline. As stated an LSD is pretty much stuck being what it is and the 'side gears' can't be swapped.

Sounds like you have something that will fit a Roadster or 510 goon and would be worth a lot.

So any takers? LOL

"worth a lot" and "Ratsun" don't mix well. ROFL!

It might not be a H190 LSD, PG also sold LSD units for the R180 rears... does it have a part number on it anywhere? Did you pull a truck axle and see if the splines are the same??? they made 2 units based on gear ratio

Clayton

When you say 10 bolt, are you talking like a GM 10 bolt where there are 10 bolts on the housing or do you mean 10 ring gear bolts?

The H190 rear has 10 bolts holding the carrier to the housing. The H165 and smaller have 8 bolts. Both have the removable carrier section but they have diferent ring gear diameters and teh LDS will not interchange.

Precision Gear is no longer. They were bought by OMIX-ADA, Inc who specializes in Jeep ONLY. I sent them an e-mail asking about the PG LSD's and was told the Power Brute LSD for all the Nissans was discountinued. They stated, they had bought PG for their gear technology for their Jeep products and from that I assume the rest is gone for good as a parts source.

When you say 10 bolt, are you talking like a GM 10 bolt where there are 10 bolts on the housing or do you mean 10 ring gear bolts?

The H190 rear has 10 bolts holding the carrier to the housing. The H165 and smaller have 8 bolts. Both have the removable carrier section but they have diferent ring gear diameters and teh LDS will not interchange.

Hold it, hold it!!!! Did you say the H-165-B ???? Might this be an LSD for an H-165-B???? Find out! The H-165 should be 6 1/2" across the ring gear.

Well short story long, I need a 29 spline differential... guess I will keep looking for 29 spline LSD.

I may just hang on to this little bugger for if I ever run a car with an H190 without all the (potential) power of my motor... since these chunks are impossible to find.

I was gonna put this in my roadster chunk with Nissan Motorsports 4.875 R&P... since it has a 29 spline Lincoln Locker in it now and that doesn't work well for road courses unless you are a dorifto...

Hold it, hold it!!!! Did you say the H-165-B ???? Might this be an LSD for an H-165-B???? Find out! The H-165 should be 6 1/2" across the ring gear.

Let me go measure it... but I'm pretty sure its not. It was with a bunch of 200sx race car stuff with H190 chunks, but this one was just in a box. (ran small axles for less rotating mass)

H-190 21 spline side gear from 510 goon

H19023toothX24mmsplinefrom510WagonR.jpg

H-190 29 spline side gear from 620

H19029toothX30mmsplinefrom520521620.jpg

Count 'em to be sure.

I counted them... the first one you posted has 23 splines(not 21), just like my LSD:

measured just over 7" across...

2011-06-21%25252020.48.50.jpg

Roadster aluminum chunk with 200sx side gears and 4.88, welded

2011-06-21%25252020.49.50.jpg

My rusty steel housing 3.875 out of a 200sx dirt track car.

2011-06-21%25252020.51.11_Grayson_Georgia_US.jpg

It might not be a H190 LSD, PG also sold LSD units for the R180 rears... does it have a part number on it anywhere? Did you pull a truck axle and see if the splines are the same??? they made 2 units based on gear ratio

Clayton

the other chunks I have use the 29 spline axles, which are huge(almost the same as a ford 9" axle), while I can just barely stick my thumb into the splines of this diff. Pretty sure this thing is for an H190 since it was with a bunch of H190 chunks.