what is a good ballpark estimate for a head rebuild?

inline4

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot ,,,,

Valve Seats ?

Valve Replacement ?

Valve Guide Knarling/Replacement ?

Parts Available ?

Replacing Springs ?

Shaving Head ?

Shimming Cam Towers ?

Type of Valve Angle Grind ?

Any Stripped Thread holes ?

Rocker Arm Refurbish or New ?

Camshaft New or Re-grind ?

Valve Lash Pad need replaced or Re-Size ?

Head Warped ?

Head Already Shaved

Just too many factors to play off of !? ,,, I actually need to get kuotes this week for me to !!! ,,, So I feel your pain ,, and wish I knew as well :blink:

Make sure YOU can source the parts ,,, that you wish to have ! :D

Nah... If I can get my reciepts. I got all new valves, new seals, cut and machined cam, rockers... for like 175...

I'm really considering stripping my car, sending it out to do the body work and putting my L16 back into it with a 219 head instead of the KA.

Nah... If I can get my reciepts. I got all new valves, new seals, cut and machined cam, rockers... for like 175...

Very decent Price ^^^ :) ,,, Although my head needs new valve seats on a couple of them ,,, I also have weak springs that need to be replaced on two sets ,,,

Just things to consider :)

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure the head shop understands the geometry of an OHC cylinder head. On pushrod engines, you can get away with sinking the valves into the head, and it is no big deal. This practice uses up the valve adjustment on a L-series head, and sunk valves do not flow as good as valves that are not sunk into the head.

You also should replace the exhaust valve seats, if the head still has the softer valve seats in.

• 1 month later...

look up lynn machine shop in san jose been using them for years no issues. if you have the head she will exchange it for you with a gasket kit. she will probably have it since she has just about every head out there. and most run about 200-250 with a gasket kit. and thats the same price if she doesnt have it just longer turn around because she actually has to redo the head.

look up lynn machine shop in san jose been using them for years no issues. if you have the head she will exchange it for you with a gasket kit. she will probably have it since she has just about every head out there. and most run about 200-250 with a gasket kit. and thats the same price if she doesnt have it just longer turn around because she actually has to redo the head.