upper control arms v2

BEEBANI

You build adjustable arms? As in I could adjust the camber with them?

Got any pics?

What do those run for a set?

Does the upper ball joint have enough travel for me to lay out on a 25" tall tire? (Don't ask haha)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome. Now you need to figure out how to machine the HB spindle to accept a 90's toyota hub, for a super easy 5 lug conversion. I know one guy that does it for $115 shipped.

So, the 720/HB lower arms just bolt on to my 77?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Jason - I'm approaching the start point on my 521 front suspension project. What do I need to know about the strut rod? Can I use the existing 521 strut rod, or am I going to need to sort something else out? What have other people done?

Jason - I'm approaching the start point on my 521 front suspension project. What do I need to know about the strut rod? Can I use the existing 521 strut rod, or am I going to need to sort something else out? What have other people done?

According to Jason (yellow620) you need to get the strut rod from the hardbody pickups, as it is a little different.

Hey Jason (Beebani) - any interest in making a LCA something like the one below and incorporating a low as possible lower shock mount? I'd buy a set :D

Hell.. I may just modify a set of late 620 LCA's like this and make frame tabs.. Hmm..

Anyone want to chime in?

1983toyot001.jpg

Yeah Steve, that's what I was gonna do to my truck if I had kept it.

I didn't really take into consideration the strut rods when designing the uca's cause I used my modified stock lca's on my truck. Glenn, the guy that helped me design/test them never mentioned about the strut rods being different.

If you got the time/money I'd love to build a set of the lca's pictured; I think they're a way better way to go than the strut rods.

Yeah Steve, that's what I was gonna do to my truck if I had kept it.

I didn't really take into consideration the strut rods when designing the uca's cause I used my modified stock lca's on my truck. Glenn, the guy that helped me design/test them never mentioned about the strut rods being different.

If you got the time/money I'd love to build a set of the lca's pictured; I think they're a way better way to go than the strut rods.

Ok... Well.. Want to make a set? It will need frame tabs. I don't have the fabrication equipment I'd want to make them..

without a tc rod how would you jack caster into the front end? that could be a very retarded question but i dont care!:)

The castor is not adjustable from the factory. You'd need to either adjust the strut rod length or the LCA position..

castor isnt adjustable? really tighting up the rods wouldn't add castor?

Stock, the rods aren't adjustable. There is a hard stop collar on the rod that the nut snugs up against to keep it all in place and not over compress the bushing. Just like a 510.

Ok, two things here for clarification.:D

First, you do NOT use TC rods from a HB. Use the TC rods from a 78/79 620 that bolts to the 78/79 lower arm that you are using. They need shortened though, but i cant remember how much.

Second, Castor IS adjustable on the 620 from the factory.:D It is adjusted by the shimpack on the upper control arm mounting bolts.

I purchased Beebani's upper control arms and they worked great. But could caster be added if the upper control arms were re-designed. Instead of the ball joint mount being in the center it could be offset towards the rear of the truck? And I thought that the shim packs on the upper control arm adjusted camber.

What did you do for the T/C rods?

I used the late 720, believe it was an 84 lower control arms (the ball joints are bolted on not pressed in) and the 720 radius rod. I couldnt use the original 620 radius rod bracket because it doesnt line up, I welded on a new bracket. I got rid of my torsion bars by going over to coilovers. I followed Fineline's build and used QA-1 coilovers.