What I've done lately

Mr Raiders

Ok its been a while sense I have done anything to my K/C. I had to move from the house to a smaller duplex. Now I have no room to do anything. The things I have done to the truck have been mechanical mostly, and sense I know how everyone has to have pictures on here I will tell my story with them.

my clutch went dead to the floor and I could not get into any gear, So I figured it was the clutch. I replaced it.

clutch.jpg

that didn't work so i replaced my clutch master cylinder.

Picture022.jpg

That made the clutch hard as hell to push in but still did nothing to fix the problem, so I did the only thing left and got a new clutch slave cylinder

slavecylander.jpg

And guess what? That's all that was wrong in the first place...O well I needed a new clutch anyways at some point.

So that's what I did a while ago. I also replaced the alternator.

Picture021.jpg

and cleaned up the air cleaner and removed the valve cover and painted it. When I pulled the valve cover everything was real clean and not covered in black sludge or anything so that's a good thing

Picture026.jpg

and from the other side, just cause

Picture027.jpg

So than I had to start driving about 110 miles twice a month for work, and my truck did great. but Its a 4 speed so it seemed like I was doing 10k rpm's at 70mph. So I got out an old Tac

I had in a box and figured I would mount it to see were I really was as far as rpm's. I know the Tac's kinda big, but its what I had.

Picture012.jpg

I do around 3500 rpms at 60mph, not to bad, but man I would love to get a hold of a 5 speed. Course I don't have to go out of town anymore so Its all good. For now.

I've also worked on my rims again, some might remember a while back i got some 15's I had planned on painting, well after one got scratched pretty easy I figured I had better get them

powder coated, as I'm on a $5 budget, it had to wait. I removed all the paint and crap from all 4 wheels, about 5hours a wheel, to have the money to sand blast them would of been nice.

By the time I was done I got a friend who knows a guy who is friends with a guy to powder coat them for free. SCORE. So here they are ready for powder coating

Picture015.jpg

I will get some pics up as soon as I ever get them done.

So while I was waiting for all that I had an idea with my extra paint. after cutting out a template I did this.

Picture014.jpg

Not bad for a spray can and a cut out of construction paper and some tape. I was bored

So that's what I got. Hope everyone enjoys reading(er looking at the pics) I'll post the rims when there done.

• Like 1
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If on a budget it's a good idea to trouble shoot problems. Throwing parts at it can be is expensive and time wasting. Good that you have it working better now. I like the '78s. Has all the goodies on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work Mr. Raiders. Next time something goes wrong with the truck start with the cheapest easiest fix first & thats usually the problem. Afterall it is a Datsun :cool: Cant wait to see the rims on there :poke:

Thanks everyone for the posts, and yes I should (and have in the past) asked for some advice on the problem with the clutch. Strange thing is it did the exact same thing a previous car did when the clutch blew out. I figured it was a no brainer. It's all good tho, The clutch was getting pretty worn before I had the problem and the other parts I ended up getting were not that much, besides now there all new and I know when I installed them.

I feel you pain with that clutch problem ,I hade de same problem and I replace the clucth as well , becuse it was shaking a lot on 1st gear, but now with new (clutch, resurface flywheel, new master clutch cylinder, new slave cylinder it feels like new , JUST REMEMBER TO BLEED THE SLAVE CYLINDER UNTIL NO AIR SHOWS BECAUSE YOU WILL FEEL THE CLUTCH HARDER THAT BEFORE , if you need any tips of anything that has to do with Datsun 620 , at 1st I didn't knew anything about this truck with the time and effort that I have put to my truck I have learn a lot and I think I became a PRO on 620 lol :D