UnMarked a series

RedBanner

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I pulled this motor last year or the yeat before becouse it had compression and 4into 2 exaust many, but I cant find any block markings, where should I look? I am familair with a14s but never seen one without stamps

]2011-06-10161739.jpg

The block that is where im used to seeing an a-14 stamped

2011-06-10161732.jpg

I pulled it from a 76 or 77 b210

Anything impaticulaur? Motor mounts and fuel pump look right and the dizzy position is in the middle right side like im used to.

So everything is typical and obvious A series huh? Just an un-marked block?

Maybe it was a fluke.

• Like 1

All should have a casting. But so should engine blocks....

I think it should be cast under the rocker tower on the first two cylinders somewhere, but no marking??

Yeah I know where to look but its not marked, ive seen that 3 other times on what I think are the cali emissions heads..... Says that some of them arnt marked on 1200.com. Ima put a webber on it and turn it over. Has compresion and spark but the carb was full of dirt clods

You are looking in the wrong place!

770.jpg

Ive got three others like this2011-06-14145402.jpg

2011-06-14145517.jpg

2011-06-14145616.jpgAnd the one in question, zillz is that a right hand drive car and would that make a dif?2011-06-14145300.jpg

Ive scoured the block, using your pic wich is what I expected to see motor mounts are 1.4 so im gana assume thats it untill I find out otherwise, I toook these pics of the rear passenger side of my block

Check on the other side of the engine, some models have an A14 as part of the casting itself (raised letters on the block between cylinders 1 and 2 I believe). I'll try and get a pic when I get home.

• Like 1

Check on the other side of the engine, some models have an A14 as part of the casting itself (raised letters on the block between cylinders 1 and 2 I believe). I'll try and get a pic when I get home.

will do, let you guys know

Well it is not so easy.

There were several different A14 block castings, and at least two places for the numbers.

* A14 cast on pad above fuel pump

OR

* or no cast A14, only the stamped numbers

18667.jpg

6475.jpg

The most simple explanation is that someone ground the numbers away when they swapped the engine.

Another explanation is that your photos are blurry so we cannot see the numbers but they are still there. You can fix that by holding the camera farther away.

RHD and LHD cars have the same engine blocks.

• Like 1

Sorry bout the blurry pics, only" camera I have is on my phone ill get a couple more, but I woudnt lie about the lack of numbers, I mean how would that help? Scouts honor, I havnt found a casting on the block, or a stamp where it should be, yes the pics suck but you can see the othe stamps right, or does it look way better on my phone?

Sorry bout the blurry pics, only" camera I have is on my phone ill get a couple more, but I woudnt lie about the lack of numbers, I mean how would that help? Scouts honor, I havnt found a casting on the block, or a stamp where it should be, yes the pics suck but you can see the othe stamps right, or does it look way better on my phone?

thanks alot for the help, you guys +1 across the board if some one ground the stamp off, they did an awsome clean job

No worries. Cell phone camera is OK if you hold it the recommended distance from the subject. Most can't do closeups but have fixed focus instead of autofocus.

I see two possibilities:

1. Someone ground them off

2. The factory forget to stamp it

Both seem unlikely but there it is. Can anyone think of other reasons?

I went to a wrecking yard several years ago looking for an A15 block, they brought out a block and loaded it in the truck, I got it home and started cleaning it up and found the same thing, a pristine unstamped block, Dan Hart and I looked it over for a little while and he said that he had an A15 for this price and I should take this one back as it was more than likely an A14. The wrecking yard said it came out of a wagon, but gave me my money back.

Learn something new every day. Hopefully it wasn't a SE asia knockoff of an genuine Nissan engine :P

They still make the A15, it is used in the 2010 Nissan Serena. The engines are still made by Aichi Machine.

A15 uses the second A14 block casting (so differs from early A14s which have 'A14' cast in them). So without the stamp you can't easily tell if it's an A15 or A14.