Column shift conversion

MikeHoncho

I have a 72 521 five speed and I really want to change it over to a column shift automatic.

I've searched and I haven't had any luck finding good info

I just wanted to know if it was possible and if anyone has done one.

What parts are needed and what kind of mods need to be done.

Any info would help.

Thanks

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess a column shift 510 could be cobbled together but I doubt it's a 'drop in'. I would use the 3N71B auto and the floor shift. This would eliminate all the linkage and fabricating needed for the other.

I've looked at doing the 510 column quite a bit for my Mend project. You'd have to space the column down from the bottom of the dash because the shift linkage runs down the top of the column. If you wanted it flush, you'd have to mod the dash, the cluster and even the speedo itself. Maybe if you go to a GM column.

All the column shift 510's had the BW trans since it's linkage stayed on the driver's side. The Jatco trans had the arm on the pass side so it went to a floor mount. I think that's the one Mike was referring to.

Mike, the 3N71B auto was introduced in April '71 but the floor shift followed in June '71 (perhaps the beginning of the '72 model year?) There was a 2 month period when the 3N71B must have had a column shift. How rare is that?

well if this does happen i have the entire shifter setup off my 411 that was column shift adn wood love to get ride of it. lmk

I might take that off your hands actually.

I heading down to long beach for the ink and iron show on the 12th.

Let me know how much you want

Keep us posted, thatll be awesome, autos belong on the column, it is most convenient

Well until you hit the lever everytime you go to adjust the volume of the stereo. I can wait to get rid of my auto...

I had an old Dodge automatic with a push buttons on the left side of the dash above the light switch. They used to be called a typewriter. Even older Dodges were automatic and had a clutch peddle you had to use for stops.

I had an old Dodge automatic with a push buttons on the left side of the dash above the light switch. They used to be called a typewriter. Even older Dodges were automatic and had a clutch peddle you had to use for stops.

I had a 1964 Plymouth Valiant with the push button automatic. I would say that the push button tops the convenience charts when it comes to automatics smile.gif are you talking about 3 on a tree?

• 10 months later...

Little bit outdated, but I'll likely be doing this very swap over the Summer... I've got an early 510 engine and transmission I'm supposed to pick up in the next couple weeks, and a column shift sounds nicer than a floor shift. Or, I could probably put the shifter just about anywhere...

Did you end up trying this swap, or did you just not bother?