Fuel level sender

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I've got it installed and it reads a little bit beyond full constantly and it never moves. From what I've been able to find the most common answer for the stock units ohm range is that its 100 ohm empty and 0 ohm full which is almost the exact opposite range i need :( I think I'm going to have to find a GM unit and put it into my tank.

Well I've got it installed and it reads a little bit beyond full constantly and it never moves. From what I've been able to find the most common answer for the stock units ohm range is that its 100 ohm empty and 0 ohm full which is almost the exact opposite range i need :( I think I'm going to have to find a GM unit and put it into my tank.

can you hook it up back wards

I looked into this a while back and now I cant find the exact numbers but it was about 130 Ohm Empty and 10 Ohm full or close to that so yes, most gauges are going to read backwards for you. And I spoke with an electronics guy here at work and he said it is possible to get it to read right but it would require running voltage to some sort of box he could make to reverse the signal. This just sounded like a pain so I personaly ended up buying an Autometer programable. I know this doesn't help if you already have your gauge but you may want to look into the signal reverse option if you know an electronic engineer. Or just use it backwards E is for Enough and F for Fill me.

I looked into this a while back and now I cant find the exact numbers but it was about 130 Ohm Empty and 10 Ohm full or close to that so yes, most gauges are going to read backwards for you. And I spoke with an electronics guy here at work and he said it is possible to get it to read right but it would require running voltage to some sort of box he could make to reverse the signal. This just sounded like a pain so I personaly ended up buying an Autometer programable. I know this doesn't help if you already have your gauge but you may want to look into the signal reverse option if you know an electronic engineer. Or just use it backwards E is for Enough and F for Fill me.

Can you give me a link of the autometer gauge that works properly?

Found this one, and another one thats about $10 less but i like this one better.

http://www.autometer...?gid=2576&sid=4

*edit* I think ill buy this in a week or two when I have the money to afford it without eating up all my cash.

Here is mine, same idea, different look. I should have remembered the model was 7510

http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugedetail.aspx?gid=3700&sid=59

10 ohm full and 80 ohm empty. (anything below 10 ohms if full)

You guys are so funny. Connecting backwards is still the same. Resistance is resistance no matter which direction the current flows .

• Like 1

10 ohm full and 80 ohm empty. (anything below 10 ohms if full)

You guys are so funny. Connecting backwards is still the same. Resistance is resistance no matter which direction the current flows .

I'm guess I didn't explain the box idea correctly. I didn't totally understand it myself but he was sayings sounded like he could wire up something that would effectively act like a teeter totter where as the resistance increased on the input it would decrease on the output "reversing" the reading. Does that make any more sense or do I just sound ludicrous now?

Assume you have a 90 ohm resistor on the potentiometer part of the fuel level sensor. If you have a "Full" tank the pot is driven to the bottom range. If you connect 12 volts to the top and ground the bottom you read 10 ohms. If you ground the top and apply 12 volts to the bottom you read 80 ohms. Not so hard is it?

Assume you have a 90 ohm resistor on the potentiometer part of the fuel level sensor. If you have a "Full" tank the pot is driven to the bottom range. If you connect 12 volts to the top and ground the bottom you read 10 ohms. If you ground the top and apply 12 volts to the bottom you read 80 ohms. Not so hard is it?

head-exploding.jpg