Smoke?

Well i was crusin the 720 next to my buddies 325i when we got to a jack in the box to eat. We were there for maybe twenty minutes eating inside. After we are done eating he pulls around into a gas stall. (Yes its a gas station and Jack in the box.) So i pull in next to him and as i stop a huge puff of white smoke comes poring out.. I ask him if that was my truck and he says yes. So i check oil and coolant and there fine. So i say lets head back the the house and see whats going on. As we are driving back i see not one hint of smoke.Get to my house and know smoking. Turn the truck off and wait. Five minutes later start it up and it smokes again. So i go for a drive and it stops smoking. Point is it only smokes when i start it anyone have any idea?

81 napz2.2 720 2wd

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if its blue and happening when you fire it up most likely your valve stem seals.

they get dry and brittle.

if its white and smells sweet its coolant, if so check your dip stick and under side of your oil cap,

make sure it dont look like a grey milk shake.

Turn the truck off and wait. Five minutes later start it up and it smokes again. So i go for a drive and it stops smoking. Point is it only smokes when i start it anyone have any idea?

81 napz2.2 720 2wd

When shut off, oil runs down the exhaust valves past worn seals. (can do this on the intakes as well) When you start up, the oil is burnt off in a puff of BLUE smoke. When running, exhaust pressure prevents the oil from getting past the seals.

A head gasket that is bad or heading that way will also seep a small amount of water into the cylinder that will flash into WHITE steam on start-up. When running, compression keeps the water pushed out.

In both cases it doesn't take much to make a large cloud of smoke or steam. A rad or oil check may not show enough loss to notice. A small water leak may not show up on a compression check either. You say white cloud so I would suspect a water leak. This would be the head gasket and you can do three things. Change it and everything should be fine, in which case you can assume it was a gasket. Leave it until it blows completely and you know for sure. (but it picks te time and place to do this) Or you can re-torque the head bolts and this may stop the problem.

The Z24 is notorious for blowing head gaskets ad Nissan recomends head bolt retorquing at every tune up to prevent this. I don't think the Z22 is this bad butit never hurts as all gaskets are subjected to a shearing action from the different heat expansion rates of the aluminum head against the cast iron block. The gasket also compresses over time and is subjected to thousands and thousands of warm up and cool down cycles.

The procedure is: ON A COLD MOTOR fully loosen each head bolt and torque to spec, about 60 ft lbs. You can do in any order but you must only loosen and tighten them ONE AT A TIME.