280zx steering box

BEEBANI

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you could make it work, they have the option of power steering if you can fit the pump onto the motor on the top pass side. you need a different steering column, but looks doable to me. specially with your fabrication skillz

I did this with my '78. The box was from a '79-'80, Bleach helped identify the year. Most other years were rack n pinion. The 620 pitman arm spline bolted right on. I made my own pump mount on the driver's side where the air pump would have been but if I did it again I would use the 280 pump mount up on the head where the fuel pump is now. Just swap all the 280z stuff over onto the L20B.

I'll post a picture of the box.

I found a 280zx power steering box for cheap, wondering if that will work on my 620?

Well I found that this one:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/280zPSbox.jpg[/img]"]280zPSbox.jpg

Fit close enough. Three of the bolts lined up after using a rat tail file to oval the hole slightly. The 280 pitman arm has to come off but the 620 arm has the same spline only it faces to the rear but it's OK, it still steers the right way. This is because the 280 box position is behind the front wheels and the 620 is ahead. But both sector shafts are inside the frame rail so steering geometry is preserved. Another possible source for a box like this one is from an '80-81 (maybe to '83) 200sx. It's identical and from a similar year car.

You would still have to get rid of the stock one piece column. I used a 720 to replace it. It has a 'rag' joint... sort of a rubber ring that connects the column to the box, but through the rubber and not solid metal. (good for vibration isolation) The 720 column has several variants. Some if not all have a splined collapsible section and may have a tiny U joint along it's length. This is great for body lifts or drops, (try that with a one piece 620 column) and also far and away better from a safety standpoint in an accident. Also the 720 did offer a tilt steering option. I have one in the shed but found that I really didn't need it.

As for a pump the 280Z might fit and line up or start with a 720 unit. It has the integral fluid reserve and bolts to the fuel pump studs on the Z 22/24 head, so I know it will fit the L series. Not sure about the pulley alignment on the Z car motors. You would need to run an electric pump for sure.

mike

why dont you make a bracket and sell it on here for us l series guys, lol?

For l-series guys, you could most likely use the pump and bracket off of the Z. Just an idea, but I don't see why it wouldn't work cause they are both l-series cars.

The reason I said might is there was discussion about Zcar pulleys not lining up. Alt, water pump? Can't remember what it was. But yes it might easily pop right on. If not some ratsun technology would do it.

The pressure side can exceed 900 PSI use the 280Z's high pressure flex hose and hard lines. The return from the pump is just that, and hard line and hoses with gear clamps will do.

I put a P/S on because the truck grew so heavy and the 10.5 X 31s were unbelievably hard to turn when parking and off road. Running 12.50 X 33s now. With P/S I can throw the truck around no problem at all. On the highway it allows very quick lane changes to avoid obstacles.

power steering is on its won system on the z motor, you need to install an idler on the top of the motor on front of the valve cover. your water pump would not change, and depending on motor you may need the z lower pulley. the power steering lines up with the 3rd groove, and ac the second, alt/water the first. heres some z pix of it!

PULLEYBEFORE.jpg

INTAKEFUEL.jpg