Toyota LSD for my goon

I picked this up from a guy at work that used to race dwarf cars and he had this one left over. I paid 150 for it, it is out of a 85 Celica GT a LSD with 390 gears. Plus it has the brackets for a 4 link including the panard bar in the back. I just need to cut off the coil spring pads and weld some coilover mounts on the back and the housing is ready.

fd5e5cb5.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good choice my only issue with the car toyota axles is how strong they are the axle spline count are about the same and that's kinda the weak point to a wagon or roadster h-190

Here's a good link for ya

http://www.aeu86.org/index/axle-amp-differential-celica-supra-(ma45-46-47)-diff-swap-amp-info_/cat/9/topic=5762/post=92692

So after my son's soccer party may brother in law and my father in law helped me tear down the rearend.

th_7a3716c3.jpg

I was originaly thinking of using the mounts to put a four bar setup in my goon but after looking under the car for a while I have decided that I am going to do a ladder bar system like Jester's goon. But for the summer I am going to just weld on some new spring perches and throw it in the car so I can enjoy it. Next winter I will take on the job of putting in a ladder bar system.

Unless that has clutches in the tubes or something, that sure looks like an open diff to me. Spiders in the center, not a clutch unit. Did you try spinning one wheel forward and one wheel back? I thought all the Japan lsds were locking until breakaway torque, whereas domestic lockers can operate opposite of that. My buddy and I argued this point to death because he has a Jeep with lockers, but they lock under stress and are normally open. Kind of interesting. I prefer the factory kind where it's locked if there's equal torque at both wheels.

so I measured the new diff and it is 53 and 1/8th and the one in my goon is 52 and 7/8ths. Awesome!

good to know. most ive seen were too wide to attempt.

IIRC toyota only offered a locking diff, not LSD (maybe only on trucks??? :? )

good to know. most ive seen were too wide to attempt.

IIRC toyota only offered a locking diff, not LSD (maybe only on trucks??? :? )

Some MK2's, cressida's, and the celica GTS had the 7.5" LSD's apparently. I'm trying to find some info about the cressida stuff but the forum I get info from is down.

I'd be interested in this swap if it works. What about some AE86 forums? Those are solid axle, and popular drift cars I'm sure there are some LSD options.