Electronic Dist.

blasta510

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

get some piggyback splices for the autoparts store so you dont have to be cutting the stock wires

these dist had a EI coil for that year model truck(lower ohm value made to run o straight 12volts). If you get one you will NOT use the 510 ballast resistor & 510 coil.

where you see the blk/wht wire this will be your 510 wire already going to the ballast resisitor hook this up to the coil and make another wire and using the splice I told you to get route it to the module. Of coarse this will be what ever color you make it but going by the drawing would also be a blk/wht wire.

also some people use a GM ignition module incase the Nissan Box goes bad.

PS I dont see the pedastal that the dizzy mounts to. a L16 mount will bot fit a L20 mount for the timming plate. unless your 510 already has a L18/20b dizzy motror in there. Its hard to tell. but usaully if you have a dual pount dizzy its a L16 pedastal/mount in there

On a side maybe more confusing note:

I have seen the stock coil and ballast in a EI Nissan set up(Matchbox)

Maybe you can run the stock coil and ballast just use the 12volt side of the ballast resistor to power the module.

I have NOT done this on either Nissan ignitions systems. So I could be talking out my ass but seen it on Jeff Hino 12oo with a A motor it had a Boxbox anstill ran a coil with ballast (I assume the coil was a POINT IGNITION coil)

78 EI dist hook up_thumb.jpg

ballast510_thumb.jpg

That's a 1978 ignition system. Just go to the library and get the Nissan 200SX book (publisher: Nissan), it has a wiring schematic for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mklotz70

We all have datsuns in common, but only a few of the guys on here actually eat in them, sleep in them, and breathe on them. I love art too, but Datsun comes first. The datos are the canvas for now.....that canvas might change, but the art will continue

The distrubuter is off a 78 620.

So i am going to need a new coil off of the 78 or newer one. im confused.

So what is the control box for??

And do i need it at all?

I was also thinking about getting the msd ignition and blaster 2 coil... is it worth the money.

Sorry im a noob.

Like I said, you *don't* need a special coil. Use the one you got. Or if you have the 78 coil use that instead, it is better.

MSD worth the money? Not unless you are racing, where your revving to 7000 rpm and every 100th of a second counts. The 1978 Nissan system is high-energy. It is good.

Yes, you need the control box. That's the "electronic" part of this system.

isnt this what I said

Maybe you can run the stock coil and ballast just use the 12volt side of the ballast resistor to power the module

that drawing should be good enough.

PS what about the pedastal? did it come with one? the correct one.

Ps if you dont know what your doing have somebody that knows Datsuns help you. If your near Covington washington I could help you

These modules are usually in the cab of the car/truck So I dont know where you want to mount this. Maybe ? in the engine bay?? Im not a expert on the eviromental reliablitiy of these units in the engine bay.

I know this is confusing if you dont feel good about it then dont do it till some one can help you.

the BLUE wire on the ignition Control unit I think you would not use it unless you have a tach

I might have to make a drawing to make this ezer for you.

But really just get a a PIGGYBACK splice and hook it up to the +side of the ballast reisitor then the rest is in the Transisitor ignition diagram.

Ignor the Pertronix drawing Im just showing the the red wire on the pertronix wanted 12volts and I hooked itup to the +side of the ballast. You will do the same with the Ignition BOX to to get your 12volts.

pertronixstockcoilsetup_thumb.JPG

Dude

IN my orginal post it has the drawing on how to do this.

To get the POwer to the ignition box(youll use a piggyback jumper from the +side of the ballast. Make a wire!!!!!!What ever color you want it. then use the drawing red + side of Coil green - side of coil.

PS If you has a L16 distributor the timming plate wont line up correctly with the one you have. cause itts a L20 timming plate and the slotted hole wont line up correctly to hold it down or be the correct time.

if unsure dont do it!!!!!!!!!!!!! other wise this car will be on the side of the house.

I dont see the correct timming pedastal anyways, untill you anwser thhis question Im done

going by the photo you have a timming plate on it. You need the pedastal

photo left is L16 pedastal the other a L20 one.

But there are 2 type of L20 ones

http://forum.ratsun.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=677&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1204325375

Ummm, now I'm confused. You say L16 on the left and L20 on the right, but the note on the paper in the pic says they're both L20. :blink:

I'm not a very big fan of MSD products, and it's really not something I felt like advertising. So I wrapped mine with a Saporro can. Would have used PBR or something else, but I figured Japanese car, Japanese beer!

this picture sucks but you can kind of make it out

l_6678d8d3889edd57f088034ce76367bc.jpg

I'm not a very big fan of MSD products, and it's really not something I felt like advertising. So I wrapped mine with a Saporro can. Would have used PBR or something else, but I figured Japanese car, Japanese beer!

Nice. How about a Asahi can for a windshield washer resevoir:

engine_bay.jpg