L20b timing chain question

blackdeth666 since you lowered your truck alot ai assume you got a spacer for the carrier bearing so you dont side load it up? between frame and under the bearing. More or less push bearing up a inch or so?

I went to NAPA yesterday looking for that timming kit.

She picked out like a Over 100$ one. I said a guy just got one for like 70$ from Napa. Then she looked better and found the 70 $ kit. Then she showed photos of the more expensive kit and it was a 3 hole sprocket. Where you might not see the V notch. where the cam dowl goes thu you should have a hole above it to see!!!!!!

The cheaper kit shows the muti hole sprocket. She gave me a ATM part Number so I ordered it . Im hoping its a OSK brand. I think the 4 hole nissan ones are still the best.

However since I work at Boeing I got a Discount and the timming kit is only 53$ so Now Im really scared if this is a made in Thailand kit cause how much Profit can one make on a 50$ timming kit???????But if made in Japan I will buy a few more spares.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do need to space the carrier up still, that or if there any 1pc drivelines that will bolt right up? Well I got it all put back together last night and it runs BETTER THAN EVER!! engine idles super smooth and quiet. Didn't do the valve guide seals because my friend said it could be the pcv valve thats making it smoke. Unplugged that and it still smokes. Fuck!

Yeah it was a OSK brand chain kit. the sprocket could fit on the dowl better. little loose.

yeah get that carrier bearing lifted those are getting hard to get and could cause a noise of load on the trans.

ont get a 1 pc driveline. carrier bearis there to keep it straight. just loose and see where it wants to go and make a specer and maybe get new bolts.

PVC valve???? I never see go bad just clean them.

You know, I don't like the 8 hole gears. I haven't seen any wear on cam sprockets to speak of, so I keep using the old 4 hole iron cross gears from whatever L motor I have laying around. Think it came off a pull and save motor. I've had it on the 510 since I built the motor, works great.

I think I did use the 8 hole gear on the KAZ24 though, just because I didn't have another iron cross gear laying around.

Good one like this:

camgear2.jpg

HRH that is a good sprocket just cant figure out why soembody redrilled unless its was a race motor. then people redrill them or pbuy the Compitition sprocket but really those people know how to set up their timming and dont worry about those people. I just reccoment the EZ to understand newbie sprockets in case there off a tooth and it EZ to spot.

If my sprockets get sharp I change them. But yes I used the old ones also if they fit titie on the dowl. I like the 4 hole better also.

Blackdeath666

If alot angle is on the trans ut put shaft I guess it coul leak but im thinkinf its leaking cause it just old.

Try to find a output trans seal the has the 2 inner ridges. The SKF ones I seen a only one lip. I have one of these and leaky already. Nissan and other will have the twin lip ones Do this while you have drivline out and youll see how the 521 has the 4 bolt flang up from and then youll see a big 22mm nut or close to it to pull off and pry the old seal out and pound in ta new one with a pc of woord or soemthing. oil it up before install

HRH that is a good sprocket just cant figure out why soembody redrilled unless its was a race motor. then people redrill them or pbuy the Compitition sprocket but really those people know how to set up their timming and dont worry about those people. I just reccoment the EZ to understand newbie sprockets in case there off a tooth and it EZ to spot.

If my sprockets get sharp I change them. But yes I used the old ones also if they fit titie on the dowl. I like the 4 hole better also.

Blackdeath666

If alot angle is on the trans ut put shaft I guess it coul leak but im thinkinf its leaking cause it just old.

Try to find a output trans seal the has the 2 inner ridges. The SKF ones I seen a only one lip. I have one of these and leaky already. Nissan and other will have the twin lip ones Do this while you have drivline out and youll see how the 521 has the 4 bolt flang up from and then youll see a big 22mm nut or close to it to pull off and pry the old seal out and pound in ta new one with a pc of woord or soemthing. oil it up before install

Ya...Matt drilled another whole

Now that would be retarding the cam????

• 1 year later...

OSK is OK. Tsubaki is like the nissan sprockets.

My last OSK the sprocket dowl hole was a little bigger than the dowl on the cam . Was a slight wiggle. so the v would most likely be more to the right as I tighten the bolt down.

I pulled it off and put another Nissan sprocket I had laying around.

These are the little things that make a difference...thanks.  With being slightly over to the right, could this be a reason why some are off, even they are TDC with the dist.